Tuesday, April 9, 2013
Starting this weekend, it’s time to celebrate Blossom Festival.
The orchards of Hood River valley have emerged in full, and those namesake blossoms are a splendor to behold.
In Hood River, Parkdale, Odell, and all parts in between, the next three weekends are full of events that should appeal to visitors and locals alike.
To list just a few: Blossom Craft Fair and Quilt Show ... Parkdale Grange dinner ... West Side Fire Department pancake breakfast ... Parkdale Fire Department casino night . . . History days at the History Museum of Hood River County.
Many businesses and organizations time their annual events to happen during Blossom Festival weekends. This year’s compatriots include, Columbia Gorge Fiber Festival, Apple Valley Store Dessert Party, Columbia Gorge Hotel’s Art of the Gorge and Hood River Lavender Farms’ spring sale.
In all cases, these are locally-based activities that our neighbors have either organized or are directly involved in carrying out. Most events are free, other than the cost of such local delectables as barbecue, pancakes, wine, and pastry.
The valley is a place of agricultural riches, visitor attractions and commercial enterprises that transform local bounty, whole or via value added activities, into products for export or local consumption.
We are blessed to live in Hood River valley, where, moments from town, can be found a wide array of things to taste, see and do.
Check out the Panorama section, to appear in the April 13 edition. Find a few things you’d like to do, and enjoy this extended neighborhood party that celebrates the vibrant agricultural and entrepreneurial spirit of the valley.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge