Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Hood River Valley High School heavyweight Brandon Dominguez got retribution over the weekend at the Oregon high school Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling Championships. After a disappointing district result earlier this year in which he failed to qualify for the OSAA state championships, Dominguez, a senior, earned All-America honors by winning a state Greco-Roman title Sunday and finishing second in the freestyle tournament on Saturday.
Along with Dominguez, 15 wrestlers from Hood River traveled to Corvallis to compete in the post-season tournaments that act as a qualifier for the Oregon National Team, which competes in the nationwide events each summer in Fargo, N.D.
Saturday’s freestyle tournament saw five HRVHS placers. Dominguez was tops as runner-up, followed by Max Lane (220 lbs.) in third in the cadet division and in the Junior division Christian Marquez (126 lbs.) in fourth, Andrew DeHart (145 lbs.) in fifth and David Brunk (170 lbs.) — back from injury — in fifth.
The Greco tournament on Sunday brought 11 HRV wrestlers to the podium. In the cadet division, Lane finished third, Junior Manzo (132 lbs.) was fourth and Michael Holmes (182 lbs.) was sixth; in the junior division, Dominguez was champion, Nick Morgan (195 lbs.) finished third, Brunk was fourth, Marquez, DeHart, Chas Peterson (152 lbs.) and Juan Karlos Hernandez (220 lbs.) were fifth and Ramon Ramirez finished sixth at 220 lbs.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge