Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Hood River Valley High School heavyweight Brandon Dominguez got retribution over the weekend at the Oregon high school Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling Championships. After a disappointing district result earlier this year in which he failed to qualify for the OSAA state championships, Dominguez, a senior, earned All-America honors by winning a state Greco-Roman title Sunday and finishing second in the freestyle tournament on Saturday.
Along with Dominguez, 15 wrestlers from Hood River traveled to Corvallis to compete in the post-season tournaments that act as a qualifier for the Oregon National Team, which competes in the nationwide events each summer in Fargo, N.D.
Saturday’s freestyle tournament saw five HRVHS placers. Dominguez was tops as runner-up, followed by Max Lane (220 lbs.) in third in the cadet division and in the Junior division Christian Marquez (126 lbs.) in fourth, Andrew DeHart (145 lbs.) in fifth and David Brunk (170 lbs.) — back from injury — in fifth.
The Greco tournament on Sunday brought 11 HRV wrestlers to the podium. In the cadet division, Lane finished third, Junior Manzo (132 lbs.) was fourth and Michael Holmes (182 lbs.) was sixth; in the junior division, Dominguez was champion, Nick Morgan (195 lbs.) finished third, Brunk was fourth, Marquez, DeHart, Chas Peterson (152 lbs.) and Juan Karlos Hernandez (220 lbs.) were fifth and Ramon Ramirez finished sixth at 220 lbs.
More like this story
- Appeals Court court affirms Hood River denial of Walmart expansion
- UPDATE: Southeast Mt. Hood fire grows to 60 acres
- Service announcement for Oct. 10
- Death notices for Oct. 7
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge