Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Hood River Valley High School heavyweight Brandon Dominguez got retribution over the weekend at the Oregon high school Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling Championships. After a disappointing district result earlier this year in which he failed to qualify for the OSAA state championships, Dominguez, a senior, earned All-America honors by winning a state Greco-Roman title Sunday and finishing second in the freestyle tournament on Saturday.
Along with Dominguez, 15 wrestlers from Hood River traveled to Corvallis to compete in the post-season tournaments that act as a qualifier for the Oregon National Team, which competes in the nationwide events each summer in Fargo, N.D.
Saturday’s freestyle tournament saw five HRVHS placers. Dominguez was tops as runner-up, followed by Max Lane (220 lbs.) in third in the cadet division and in the Junior division Christian Marquez (126 lbs.) in fourth, Andrew DeHart (145 lbs.) in fifth and David Brunk (170 lbs.) — back from injury — in fifth.
The Greco tournament on Sunday brought 11 HRV wrestlers to the podium. In the cadet division, Lane finished third, Junior Manzo (132 lbs.) was fourth and Michael Holmes (182 lbs.) was sixth; in the junior division, Dominguez was champion, Nick Morgan (195 lbs.) finished third, Brunk was fourth, Marquez, DeHart, Chas Peterson (152 lbs.) and Juan Karlos Hernandez (220 lbs.) were fifth and Ramon Ramirez finished sixth at 220 lbs.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Westside forum July 26
- Fair Time: HOOD RIVER COUNTY FAIR — ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- YESTERYEARS: ‘Lassie’ films in HR in 1947
- Daily Bread: Blame it on The Moon
- McAlexanders celebrate 50th anniversary
- Hood River Library hosts Death Café
- Police Log, July 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, July 16 to 22
- Biologists give mixed news for Columbia steelhead
- Pet of the Week: Charlie is happy and playful
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge