Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Hood River Valley High School heavyweight Brandon Dominguez got retribution over the weekend at the Oregon high school Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling Championships. After a disappointing district result earlier this year in which he failed to qualify for the OSAA state championships, Dominguez, a senior, earned All-America honors by winning a state Greco-Roman title Sunday and finishing second in the freestyle tournament on Saturday.
Along with Dominguez, 15 wrestlers from Hood River traveled to Corvallis to compete in the post-season tournaments that act as a qualifier for the Oregon National Team, which competes in the nationwide events each summer in Fargo, N.D.
Saturday’s freestyle tournament saw five HRVHS placers. Dominguez was tops as runner-up, followed by Max Lane (220 lbs.) in third in the cadet division and in the Junior division Christian Marquez (126 lbs.) in fourth, Andrew DeHart (145 lbs.) in fifth and David Brunk (170 lbs.) — back from injury — in fifth.
The Greco tournament on Sunday brought 11 HRV wrestlers to the podium. In the cadet division, Lane finished third, Junior Manzo (132 lbs.) was fourth and Michael Holmes (182 lbs.) was sixth; in the junior division, Dominguez was champion, Nick Morgan (195 lbs.) finished third, Brunk was fourth, Marquez, DeHart, Chas Peterson (152 lbs.) and Juan Karlos Hernandez (220 lbs.) were fifth and Ramon Ramirez finished sixth at 220 lbs.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge