Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Hood River Valley High School heavyweight Brandon Dominguez got retribution over the weekend at the Oregon high school Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling Championships. After a disappointing district result earlier this year in which he failed to qualify for the OSAA state championships, Dominguez, a senior, earned All-America honors by winning a state Greco-Roman title Sunday and finishing second in the freestyle tournament on Saturday.
Along with Dominguez, 15 wrestlers from Hood River traveled to Corvallis to compete in the post-season tournaments that act as a qualifier for the Oregon National Team, which competes in the nationwide events each summer in Fargo, N.D.
Saturday’s freestyle tournament saw five HRVHS placers. Dominguez was tops as runner-up, followed by Max Lane (220 lbs.) in third in the cadet division and in the Junior division Christian Marquez (126 lbs.) in fourth, Andrew DeHart (145 lbs.) in fifth and David Brunk (170 lbs.) — back from injury — in fifth.
The Greco tournament on Sunday brought 11 HRV wrestlers to the podium. In the cadet division, Lane finished third, Junior Manzo (132 lbs.) was fourth and Michael Holmes (182 lbs.) was sixth; in the junior division, Dominguez was champion, Nick Morgan (195 lbs.) finished third, Brunk was fourth, Marquez, DeHart, Chas Peterson (152 lbs.) and Juan Karlos Hernandez (220 lbs.) were fifth and Ramon Ramirez finished sixth at 220 lbs.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18
Bagpipers perform at Fall Simple Gifts
The Portland Guard pipers prepare and then perform at the Fall Simple Gifts concert at Riverside Church Enlarge