Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Gov. John Kitzhaber on Tuesday ordered all flags at public institutions statewide to immediately be lowered and flown at half-staff until sunset on Saturday, April 20.
“Our thoughts are with the victims, their families, and the people of Boston,” said Kitzhaber. “The Boston Marathon draws participants and spectators from around the world, including hundreds of Oregonians, and we thank those who responded quickly and heroically to help those in need.”
This is the full text of President Barack Obama’s proclamation about the Boston tragedy:
“As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on April 15, 2013, in Boston, Massachusetts, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, April 20, 2013.
“I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.” (April 16, 2013)
More like this story
- Into the thick of 'thinning'
- Hood River School Board okays bond request
- What's going on for Valentine's and President's Day?
- Cascade Locks Port will rebuild historic engine building
- Gorge Foundation gains major donation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 13
- Arts center celebrates 10 years with free Kick-Off Party
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 13
- Editorial: Pool Queue
- City Council approves ‘symbolic’ step on gun control