Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Hood River Valley High School boys and girls golf teams had tournament play Thursday; the boys hosted a Columbia River Conference preview event with The Dalles-Wahtonka, Hermiston and Pendleton while the girls traveled to Pendleton for a tournament of their own.
Pendleton took first in both locations and looks to be the team to beat as district and state tournaments approach next month. Representing HRV for the girls were Laura Waller, Korey Cimock and Alisha Hay. Waller had the best score with a 98, followed by Cimock at 105 and Hay at 108. The winning golfer, Pendleton’s Rachel Phinney, had an 85 on the day.
For the HRV boys, Dan Kuechmann scored a 92 at Indian Creek Golf Course to finish in a tie for fourth place. Greg Johnston, Andy Dunn, Benn Amezquita and Zach Davis finished well below that mark, but were commended by coach Matt Kyriax for their first-year progress.
“They’re doing well, all things considered,” he said. “For Ben it was his first tournament ever and for the other three guys it was their second. For Dan, if he puts everything together he should be able to make it to state this year. He has the ability and just needs to put it together.”
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge