Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Hood River Valley High School boys and girls golf teams had tournament play Thursday; the boys hosted a Columbia River Conference preview event with The Dalles-Wahtonka, Hermiston and Pendleton while the girls traveled to Pendleton for a tournament of their own.
Pendleton took first in both locations and looks to be the team to beat as district and state tournaments approach next month. Representing HRV for the girls were Laura Waller, Korey Cimock and Alisha Hay. Waller had the best score with a 98, followed by Cimock at 105 and Hay at 108. The winning golfer, Pendleton’s Rachel Phinney, had an 85 on the day.
For the HRV boys, Dan Kuechmann scored a 92 at Indian Creek Golf Course to finish in a tie for fourth place. Greg Johnston, Andy Dunn, Benn Amezquita and Zach Davis finished well below that mark, but were commended by coach Matt Kyriax for their first-year progress.
“They’re doing well, all things considered,” he said. “For Ben it was his first tournament ever and for the other three guys it was their second. For Dan, if he puts everything together he should be able to make it to state this year. He has the ability and just needs to put it together.”
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge