Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Hood River Valley High School boys and girls golf teams had tournament play Thursday; the boys hosted a Columbia River Conference preview event with The Dalles-Wahtonka, Hermiston and Pendleton while the girls traveled to Pendleton for a tournament of their own.
Pendleton took first in both locations and looks to be the team to beat as district and state tournaments approach next month. Representing HRV for the girls were Laura Waller, Korey Cimock and Alisha Hay. Waller had the best score with a 98, followed by Cimock at 105 and Hay at 108. The winning golfer, Pendleton’s Rachel Phinney, had an 85 on the day.
For the HRV boys, Dan Kuechmann scored a 92 at Indian Creek Golf Course to finish in a tie for fourth place. Greg Johnston, Andy Dunn, Benn Amezquita and Zach Davis finished well below that mark, but were commended by coach Matt Kyriax for their first-year progress.
“They’re doing well, all things considered,” he said. “For Ben it was his first tournament ever and for the other three guys it was their second. For Dan, if he puts everything together he should be able to make it to state this year. He has the ability and just needs to put it together.”
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge