Friday, April 19, 2013
The Hood River County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a skier at Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Resort on April 14.
The skier has been identified as 51-year-old Josef Desch of Happy Valley. Desch was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident.
Just after 2 p.m., Hood River County 9-1-1 was notified of a skier who had hit a tree. The incident occurred on the Arena run at the resort.
Desch was skiing with a friend, who had gone ahead. Other skiers saw Desch go over a rise, and found his body.
Mt. Hood Meadows ski patrollers arrived within minutes of the reported accident, but the victim was unresponsive and attempts by medical personnel to revive him were unsuccessful.
Sheriff Matt English said Desch apparently died of traumatic injuries when he hit the tree. According to Sheriff’s records, it is the first death at Meadows since January 2011.
More like this story
- Service announcement for Nov. 25
- Yesteryears: Postal Route 6 added to HR Postal Service 1975
- Art Sale and Show at CCA
- Wy’east lists first-quarter honor roll
- How to Help, updated for Nov. 25
- Friends of Mt. Adams host ‘Cougar Creek burn’ forum
- Freeze Frames
- Daily Bread: The parting gift
- Travelogue: Family’s two-year sojourn in Bangkok connects them to the people
- Ornament sale benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge