Friday, April 19, 2013
The Hood River County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a skier at Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Resort on April 14.
The skier has been identified as 51-year-old Josef Desch of Happy Valley. Desch was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident.
Just after 2 p.m., Hood River County 9-1-1 was notified of a skier who had hit a tree. The incident occurred on the Arena run at the resort.
Desch was skiing with a friend, who had gone ahead. Other skiers saw Desch go over a rise, and found his body.
Mt. Hood Meadows ski patrollers arrived within minutes of the reported accident, but the victim was unresponsive and attempts by medical personnel to revive him were unsuccessful.
Sheriff Matt English said Desch apparently died of traumatic injuries when he hit the tree. According to Sheriff’s records, it is the first death at Meadows since January 2011.
More like this story
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
- FILL THE BOOT
- 4-H Results, 2017 Hood River County Fair
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge