Friday, April 19, 2013
The Hood River County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a skier at Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Resort on April 14.
The skier has been identified as 51-year-old Josef Desch of Happy Valley. Desch was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident.
Just after 2 p.m., Hood River County 9-1-1 was notified of a skier who had hit a tree. The incident occurred on the Arena run at the resort.
Desch was skiing with a friend, who had gone ahead. Other skiers saw Desch go over a rise, and found his body.
Mt. Hood Meadows ski patrollers arrived within minutes of the reported accident, but the victim was unresponsive and attempts by medical personnel to revive him were unsuccessful.
Sheriff Matt English said Desch apparently died of traumatic injuries when he hit the tree. According to Sheriff’s records, it is the first death at Meadows since January 2011.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge