Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Kids, got a business or community activity idea?
Put your idea together, present it to a bunch of adults and you could get some money to get it started.
The deadline to submit applications for Gorge Soup for Kids is April 30. (This is a revised deadline.)
The next Gorge Soup event, for kids, will be May 14 at Springhouse Cellar Winery.
With Gorge Soup, diners enjoy dinner together, hear grant hopefuls describe their project or business and then vote on which request or requests they would like to fund.
The dinner proceeds are then disbursed to the winner or winners.
(At last year’s Gorge Soup, winner Keenan Collins of New Leaf Gallery accepted half of his grant and asked that the rest be given to the other presenters. New Leaf, on Seventh Street near Oak, holds monthly classes and other events for teens in the community) Tickets for Gorge Soup for Kids are $35 apiece.
To purchase tickets, go to: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/282394
Applications are to be mailed and postmarked by April 30, and sent to the following address: Gorge Soup, 14 Oak St., Ste. 302, Hood River, OR 97031. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. For details email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gorge Soup began in 2011 and has thus far produced three events for adult entrepreneurs and one for Gorge area students in grades K-12. Last year’s season resulted in a total of five new ventures receiving a total of more than $7,100 in support. Organizers say that at least three new Soup events have begun in Portland and Seattle, inspired by Gorge Soup.
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Oct. 26: Vernon Picking
- Death Notices for Oct. 26: Mary Stinson, Wilma Bolton, Kathleen Coffey, Thomas Pierce and Evelyn Helseth
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge