Tuesday, April 23, 2013
After a long day’s work sharing some home-cooked meals with visitors and locals alike, the Parkdale Grange found itself the victim of an unknown thief after the Blossom Fest gathering wrapped up on Saturday.
According to Tamara Emler Ball, HRN correspondent for Parkdale, the theft will have big implications for the small nonprofit organization.
“The Grange holds a Chuckwagon Dinner every year on Blossom Fest weekend,” said Ball. “Apparently all the day’s money that was made last Saturday was stolen at the end of the day.
“This is a big loss for the Grange. Saturday was their better day for receipts and this fundraiser is what helps keep the bills paid there,” said Ball.
Parkdale Grange dinner organizer Jean Hardman could not be reached before press time. This year marks the centennial anniversary of Parkdale Grange’s founding.
Those wishing to support the Grange, which promotes small farming and sustainable living practices, may send donations to: Parkdale Grange, 7300 Clear Creek Road, Parkdale, OR 97041.
More like this story
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
- GOP governor candidates spar in Hood River
- Late rally falls short in HRV loss to Hermiston
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge