Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Last week’s MDA Lockup event in Hood River reaped $20,000.
About 60 community members agreed to be “arrested” and come to Pietro’s for lunch, where they made calls to “make bail,” with proceeds going to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
The money will be used for families affected by muscular dystrophy in northern Oregon and southwest Washington, including scholarships to attend Camp Arrowana near Mount Hood.
Friday, May 3, is MDA Day, when 198 Dutch Bros. Coffee locations in seven states will donate all proceeds to MDA, the world leader in fighting Lou Gehrig’s disease, also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS.
Dutch Bros.’ Hood River location is on the Heights at 12th and Pacific streets.
The event kicks off ALS Awareness Month and is held annually in honor of company cofounder Dane Boersma, who was diagnosed with ALS in 2005 and passed away in late 2009.
Dane’s memory continues to inspire everyone within the company to give their all every day. On MDA Day, all employees and loved ones proudly wear and proclaim the event slogan, “Drink One for Dane.”
“We all knew him as The Wiseman,” says Travis Boersma, surviving brother and company co-founder. “He lives on today … through our business, through his efforts and just how he did what he did.”
Last year, Dutch Bros. contributed a record-breaking $174,000 to MDA for research and family services funding. Since becoming involved with MDA in 2007, Dutch Bros. has donated more than $625,000.
“We have a great partner in Dutch Bros.,” said MDA Executive Director Arlene Wedsted. “The Dutch Bros. team puts forth so much energy and enthusiasm for this event each year, and we are immensely grateful.”
ALS is a disease that affects the parts of the nervous system that control voluntary muscle movement. There is no cure for ALS, and most people with ALS die within three to five years. To learn more about the MDA and ALS, visit mda.org.
Supporters may also make donations at danesdrive.org.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge