Tuesday, April 23, 2013
“History from Below: Power to the People” is an interactive workshop that invites participants to explore the moments when passionate, principled or simply fed-up people from rural Oregon (Wasco County in particular) have banded together in hopes of changing the course of history at the local, state or national level.
The event will be held May 5 from 2-4:30 p.m. at the Discovery Center Conference room, located at 500 Discovery Drive, The Dalles. This workshop is sponsored by Rural Organizing Project and the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center.
Complimentary coffee and tea will be provided. A sliding scale donation of $3 to $10 is suggested; no one will be turned away due to a lack of funds.
To RSVP email firstname.lastname@example.org and for more information, contact Sarah K. Loose at 503-367-0157; you can also visit oregonhistoryfrombelow.word-press.com
During the workshop, former PUD employee and local historian Linda Wilson will share the story of the fight to establish the PUD.
Breakout sessions will offer participants the opportunity to dig deeper into this history by exploring historical archives of the movement for public power and analyzing what they reveal about the values, demands and strategies of this movement and its opponents.
A facilitated discussion will explore the resonance and relevance of this history for issues facing Gorge residents today.
This workshop is made possible in part by a grant from Oregon Humanities, a statewide nonprofit organization and an independent affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, which funds the Oregon Humanities’ grant program.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge