Tuesday, April 23, 2013
“History from Below: Power to the People” is an interactive workshop that invites participants to explore the moments when passionate, principled or simply fed-up people from rural Oregon (Wasco County in particular) have banded together in hopes of changing the course of history at the local, state or national level.
The event will be held May 5 from 2-4:30 p.m. at the Discovery Center Conference room, located at 500 Discovery Drive, The Dalles. This workshop is sponsored by Rural Organizing Project and the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center.
Complimentary coffee and tea will be provided. A sliding scale donation of $3 to $10 is suggested; no one will be turned away due to a lack of funds.
To RSVP email email@example.com and for more information, contact Sarah K. Loose at 503-367-0157; you can also visit oregonhistoryfrombelow.word-press.com
During the workshop, former PUD employee and local historian Linda Wilson will share the story of the fight to establish the PUD.
Breakout sessions will offer participants the opportunity to dig deeper into this history by exploring historical archives of the movement for public power and analyzing what they reveal about the values, demands and strategies of this movement and its opponents.
A facilitated discussion will explore the resonance and relevance of this history for issues facing Gorge residents today.
This workshop is made possible in part by a grant from Oregon Humanities, a statewide nonprofit organization and an independent affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, which funds the Oregon Humanities’ grant program.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge