Tuesday, April 23, 2013
The Gorge Roller Girls All-Star team is traveling north this weekend to represent the Gorge in Spokarnage: A roller derby tournament. From Friday night to Sunday morning, the Gorge Roller Girls will be skating against teams from all over the Northwest, including their original rivals: the Hermiston Melon Smashers. The Gorge’s first bout last June was against Hermiston, where they lost 176-97. In the past year, the Gorge Roller Girls have grown in number and skill and, having won their most recent bout against the high-ranked Southern Oregon Rollergirls, the GRG All-Stars are ready for a rematch against Hermiston.
Live updates of the Gorge Roller Girls’ progress at Spokarnage will be posted online at facebook.com/gorgerollergirls.
Spokarnage is hosted by Spokane’s roller derby team the Spokannibals, and 20 teams are expected to compete in the tournament.
GRG will be the youngest league in the tournament, having just celebrated its one-year anniversary in March.
“I am very anxious to see how we stack up against the other leagues that have a lot more experience than us,” says Coach Yo-Duh.
More like this story
- Gorge quilters featured in area shows this summer and fall
- Entertainment Update for July 30
- ‘American Pickers’ seeks local troves
- Richard Tillinghast concert at library Aug 10
- Gorge Soup art grant applications due Aug. 20
- Elections 2016: Gudman talks state treasurer bid during Hood River visit
- Ways of the Wind: July weather a windfall
- ‘Officer Friendly’ Sergeant Jesse Flem retires after 30 years
- Summer construction closes roads in Mount Hood National Forest
- Chief Wells resigns from Fire Dept.
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge