Tuesday, April 23, 2013
The Gorge Roller Girls All-Star team is traveling north this weekend to represent the Gorge in Spokarnage: A roller derby tournament. From Friday night to Sunday morning, the Gorge Roller Girls will be skating against teams from all over the Northwest, including their original rivals: the Hermiston Melon Smashers. The Gorge’s first bout last June was against Hermiston, where they lost 176-97. In the past year, the Gorge Roller Girls have grown in number and skill and, having won their most recent bout against the high-ranked Southern Oregon Rollergirls, the GRG All-Stars are ready for a rematch against Hermiston.
Live updates of the Gorge Roller Girls’ progress at Spokarnage will be posted online at facebook.com/gorgerollergirls.
Spokarnage is hosted by Spokane’s roller derby team the Spokannibals, and 20 teams are expected to compete in the tournament.
GRG will be the youngest league in the tournament, having just celebrated its one-year anniversary in March.
“I am very anxious to see how we stack up against the other leagues that have a lot more experience than us,” says Coach Yo-Duh.
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge