Tuesday, April 23, 2013
New to the community?
New to voting?
The deadline approaches for registering to vote for the May 21 Special Districts election in Hood River County.
That date is April 30; see details on page A1.
The election will involve every tax district in the county, from large ones including the ports of Hood River and Cascade Locks and Hood River County School District, to geographically based districts providing fire, sewer and other local services.
It’s important that as many people as possible have a say in who serves on these boards and commissions. Local governments such as these provide critical services and are the ones with the greatest connection to the average person.
Ballots go out May 3, and part of the process of public debate is letters to the editor concerning these local races. In anticipation of “the political season,” here are the policy and guidelines for submissions to the Hood River News’ “Our Readers Write” section:
Letter to the editor writers are reminded that shorter is better. Concise letters are not only better read, they are more likely to be published because limited space is available.
Almost any point can be made in 350 words or fewer, so this is set as an upper level for length.
We limit letters on a subject when we feel it has been thoroughly aired, to the point of letters becoming repetitive. (When multiple letters arrive, we reserve the right to publish a representative number of letters supporting a particular candidate.)
Unsigned letters, letters signed with fictitious signatures and copies of letters sent to public officials are not accepted.
Also rejected are letters that are libelous, in bad taste or personal attacks on individuals or private businesses.
Writers must include addresses and telephone numbers. These are for identification purposes only, and will not be published.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge