Friday, April 26, 2013
Hood River Valley High School varsity girls tennis traveled to Hermiston Monday for a makeup meet against the Bulldogs; an earlier-scheduled meeting between the two teams was canceled due to bad weather. The teams were evenly-matched, both winning four and losing four between singles and doubles contests. Hermiston took the overall win due to winning more sets than the HRV girls.
Singles action saw Emilee Ziegner and Miranda Starr with wins while Sophie Oswald and Olivia Newcomb both lost hard-fought matches. In doubles, No. 1 pair Petra Knapp and Anna Gumperlein had a tough time against Hermiston’s top duo and lost without claiming a single game. Vanessa Sandoval and Elle Webb had a similarly-tough match at No.2 doubles, while at third and fourth Naomi Greenwald and Emma Cameron won with relative ease and Siena Harlin and Hannah Bergemann fought through a tiebreaker to take the third-set win.
HRV Boys vs. The Dalles
Scottie Ziegner and the duo of Grant Edwards and Will Ferrick won matches Wednesday in a home contest against The Dalles Wahtonka Eagle-Indians. Ziegner, at No. 1 singles, defeated Carlos Barajas with ease to continued his winning season as the team faces its last league matches next week. Edwards and Ferrick, at No. 2 doubles, won 6-2, 6-4 over their opponents. Victor Garibo, Cooper Holzman and Jorge Ortega all lost in singles action as did Marten Sova/Thomas Humann, Miguel De La Rosa/Jorge Calderon and Jonathan Hale/Cole Shepherd in No. 1, 3 and 4 doubles.
The team travels to Sandy Saturday for tournament play, and then faces Hermiston at home Wednesday for the last league match of the season.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge