Tuesday, April 30, 2013
On Friday, April 26 a crowd gathered to wrangle some words for a good cause. SMART (Start Making A reader Today) netted $2,000 in the third annual Tongue Twister Tournament.
First prize went to Bruce Ludwig, followed by Rachel Harry with Michael Schock coming in a close third. About 80 people attended the event at Hood River Middle School. Portland comic and World Champion Palindromist Mark Saltveit entertained.
More like this story
- Highway brush fire in Hood River knocked down
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
- Santa Cruz, Fetkenhour April ‘Students of the Month’
- Picard resigns from Hood River city council over STR issue
- Cascade Locks city council continuing with Nestlé plans despite passage of 14-55
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge