Saturday, August 3, 2013
The community is invited to a centennial celebration at Mid-Columbia Agricultural Research and Extension Center on Aug. 8.
Dr. Ed Ray, president of Oregon State University, will speak along with other officials.
The event starts at 2:30 p.m. with a short program and tours until 5 p.m.
Barbecue will be served from 5:15 to 7 p.m.
The facility is located just south of Hood River, off Tucker Road. Turn east on Extension Center Road just south of Your Party and Rental Center.
Three researchers will present information on their current work: Dr. Peter Shearer, entomology; Dr. Todd Einhorn, horticulture; and Dr. Yen Wang, post-harvest physiology.
MCAREC Director Brian Tuck said the community will also hear about ways the center is working to add value to Hood River agriculture products.
A timeline of the center will be on display to give visitors a sense of what MCAREC has worked on over the years.
Speakers will also include Dan Arp, dean of the OSU College of Agriculture, and Scott Reed, vice provost and director of OSU Extension.
In addition, board member Jeff Heater of Columbia Gorge Fruit Growers will talk about the organization’s new endowment program for MCAREC.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge