Saturday, August 3, 2013
The community is invited to a centennial celebration at Mid-Columbia Agricultural Research and Extension Center on Aug. 8.
Dr. Ed Ray, president of Oregon State University, will speak along with other officials.
The event starts at 2:30 p.m. with a short program and tours until 5 p.m.
Barbecue will be served from 5:15 to 7 p.m.
The facility is located just south of Hood River, off Tucker Road. Turn east on Extension Center Road just south of Your Party and Rental Center.
Three researchers will present information on their current work: Dr. Peter Shearer, entomology; Dr. Todd Einhorn, horticulture; and Dr. Yen Wang, post-harvest physiology.
MCAREC Director Brian Tuck said the community will also hear about ways the center is working to add value to Hood River agriculture products.
A timeline of the center will be on display to give visitors a sense of what MCAREC has worked on over the years.
Speakers will also include Dan Arp, dean of the OSU College of Agriculture, and Scott Reed, vice provost and director of OSU Extension.
In addition, board member Jeff Heater of Columbia Gorge Fruit Growers will talk about the organization’s new endowment program for MCAREC.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge