Saturday, August 3, 2013
The community is invited to a centennial celebration at Mid-Columbia Agricultural Research and Extension Center on Aug. 8.
Dr. Ed Ray, president of Oregon State University, will speak along with other officials.
The event starts at 2:30 p.m. with a short program and tours until 5 p.m.
Barbecue will be served from 5:15 to 7 p.m.
The facility is located just south of Hood River, off Tucker Road. Turn east on Extension Center Road just south of Your Party and Rental Center.
Three researchers will present information on their current work: Dr. Peter Shearer, entomology; Dr. Todd Einhorn, horticulture; and Dr. Yen Wang, post-harvest physiology.
MCAREC Director Brian Tuck said the community will also hear about ways the center is working to add value to Hood River agriculture products.
A timeline of the center will be on display to give visitors a sense of what MCAREC has worked on over the years.
Speakers will also include Dan Arp, dean of the OSU College of Agriculture, and Scott Reed, vice provost and director of OSU Extension.
In addition, board member Jeff Heater of Columbia Gorge Fruit Growers will talk about the organization’s new endowment program for MCAREC.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge