Wednesday, August 7, 2013
City Council is scheduled to consider action Aug. 12 on appointing an interim city manager.
Council Member Kate McBride is heading the council’s interim search committee.
“It’s looking good. We have narrowed it down four finalists, and we are looking at our two top picks at this point,” McBride said. She said the committee will have a recommendation for whom to hire ready for Monday. Council meets at 6 p.m. at City Hall.
Also on Monday, the council will hear a subcommittee report on hiring a recruiting firm to lead the process for hiring a permanent city manager, which will take an anticipated four-to-six months.
Mayor Arthur Babitz clarified his role by saying, “as the city manager search proceeds, the role of council is two-part: keeping business moving forward, and the specific task of interviewing and interfacing with the recruiting firm that will be hired.” Babitz was not involved in interviews for the interim last week, but oversaw the process of setting up the interviews.
Babitz had said last month that a special meeting could be called earlier than Aug. 12, but that seems unnecessary now. The candidate is available immediately, but Babitz said acting city manager Cindy Walbridge told him she can wait until Aug. 12 meeting for action.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge