Wednesday, August 7, 2013
City Council is scheduled to consider action Aug. 12 on appointing an interim city manager.
Council Member Kate McBride is heading the council’s interim search committee.
“It’s looking good. We have narrowed it down four finalists, and we are looking at our two top picks at this point,” McBride said. She said the committee will have a recommendation for whom to hire ready for Monday. Council meets at 6 p.m. at City Hall.
Also on Monday, the council will hear a subcommittee report on hiring a recruiting firm to lead the process for hiring a permanent city manager, which will take an anticipated four-to-six months.
Mayor Arthur Babitz clarified his role by saying, “as the city manager search proceeds, the role of council is two-part: keeping business moving forward, and the specific task of interviewing and interfacing with the recruiting firm that will be hired.” Babitz was not involved in interviews for the interim last week, but oversaw the process of setting up the interviews.
Babitz had said last month that a special meeting could be called earlier than Aug. 12, but that seems unnecessary now. The candidate is available immediately, but Babitz said acting city manager Cindy Walbridge told him she can wait until Aug. 12 meeting for action.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge