Wednesday, August 7, 2013
Dhani Freeland led the Hood River Valley Swim team at the recent 13-and-over Oregon Swimming Inc. long-course championships with a first-place finish in the 200 IM, a second-place finish in the 400 freestyle and several other top-five finishes in her age group.
The meet, at Mt. Hood Community College, is a springboard for swimmers to qualify for the next level of competition, which is age group sectionals next spring. Freeland, Kylie Webb and Mariah Rawding and a girls 200 freestyle relay will be among the HRVST members at that meet.
Additionally, Freeland was chosen to attend the Western Zone meet in Roseville, Calif., next week as part of the Oregon Swimming Team, which takes the best 11-14-year-olds and travels as a group to the meet.
Up next for the team, Scott Bergstrom and Connor Webb compete at Junior Nationals this week in Irvine, Calif., and Freeland swims at the Western Zones meet Aug. 7-10.
New team records:
200 free relay (Dhani Freeland, Erin Nelson, Kylie Webb, Marian Rawding): 1:56.99
200 medley relay (Dhani Freeland, Erin Nelson, Kylie Webb and Nadia Smith): 1:14.92
400 free relay (Connor Webb, Carlos Galvez, David Walker, Scott Bergstrom): 3:57.86
400 free: Dhani Freeland, 4:34.08
200 back: Dhani Freeland, 2:34.06
100 breast: Kylie Webb, 1:17.52
State meet top finishes:
Dhani Freeland (14): 200 back, 5th; 400 free, 2nd; 200 free, 3rd; 200 IM, 2nd; 400 free, 3rd
Leif Bergstrom (14): 50 free, 27th
Nadia Smith (13): 100 breast, 8th; 400 IM, 14th
David Walker (15): 400 IM, 19th
Kylie Webb (16): 100 breast, 6th; 400 IM, 8th; 200 IM, 16th
More like this story
- Fire near Eagle Creek flares back up
- Service announcements for July 22:
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge