Wednesday, August 7, 2013
Dhani Freeland led the Hood River Valley Swim team at the recent 13-and-over Oregon Swimming Inc. long-course championships with a first-place finish in the 200 IM, a second-place finish in the 400 freestyle and several other top-five finishes in her age group.
The meet, at Mt. Hood Community College, is a springboard for swimmers to qualify for the next level of competition, which is age group sectionals next spring. Freeland, Kylie Webb and Mariah Rawding and a girls 200 freestyle relay will be among the HRVST members at that meet.
Additionally, Freeland was chosen to attend the Western Zone meet in Roseville, Calif., next week as part of the Oregon Swimming Team, which takes the best 11-14-year-olds and travels as a group to the meet.
Up next for the team, Scott Bergstrom and Connor Webb compete at Junior Nationals this week in Irvine, Calif., and Freeland swims at the Western Zones meet Aug. 7-10.
New team records:
200 free relay (Dhani Freeland, Erin Nelson, Kylie Webb, Marian Rawding): 1:56.99
200 medley relay (Dhani Freeland, Erin Nelson, Kylie Webb and Nadia Smith): 1:14.92
400 free relay (Connor Webb, Carlos Galvez, David Walker, Scott Bergstrom): 3:57.86
400 free: Dhani Freeland, 4:34.08
200 back: Dhani Freeland, 2:34.06
100 breast: Kylie Webb, 1:17.52
State meet top finishes:
Dhani Freeland (14): 200 back, 5th; 400 free, 2nd; 200 free, 3rd; 200 IM, 2nd; 400 free, 3rd
Leif Bergstrom (14): 50 free, 27th
Nadia Smith (13): 100 breast, 8th; 400 IM, 14th
David Walker (15): 400 IM, 19th
Kylie Webb (16): 100 breast, 6th; 400 IM, 8th; 200 IM, 16th
More like this story
- Sports Briefs for July 27
- Service announcements for July 27: Ada Redlock, Douglas Warnock, Betty Akiyama and Virginia Phillips
- Death notice for July 27: Scott Bauer
- Peters and Lassila engaged
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge