Wednesday, August 7, 2013
King of the Hook windsurfing, Blowout kiteboarding events this weekend
Saturday, Aug. 10, will feature both the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association’s annual King of the Hook event and the Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest kiteboarding blowout.
King of the Hook is a whimsical contest all about fun that runs from 5:30-8 p.m. at The Hook. See www.gorgewindsurfing.org for details.
The Blowout, postponed from last weekend, is a downwind kiteboarding race from Stevenson to Hood River. Registration starts at 9 a.m. at the Stevenson launch site.
Matt Dallman continues pro soccer career
Hood River native and former HRVHS soccer standout Matt Dallman is making an impact in his second season with the USL Pro Division Pittsburgh Riverhounds. Most recently, the 28-year-old midfielder scored the game-winning goal in a 2-1 victory over the Wilmington Hammerheads to keep his team in ninth-place in USL Pro standings and in a playoff hunt as the season comes to a head.
Dallmann, a 2003 Hood River Valley High School graduate, has spent the last 10 years pursuing a professional soccer career. After high school, he played one season for Chico State before transferring to the University of Portland, where he finished out his college career as a Pilot. He then went on to play several years with European clubs, including four years in Germany, before returning to the U.S. and making his debut with the Riverhounds last July.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge