Wednesday, August 7, 2013
King of the Hook windsurfing, Blowout kiteboarding events this weekend
Saturday, Aug. 10, will feature both the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association’s annual King of the Hook event and the Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest kiteboarding blowout.
King of the Hook is a whimsical contest all about fun that runs from 5:30-8 p.m. at The Hook. See www.gorgewindsurfing.org for details.
The Blowout, postponed from last weekend, is a downwind kiteboarding race from Stevenson to Hood River. Registration starts at 9 a.m. at the Stevenson launch site.
Matt Dallman continues pro soccer career
Hood River native and former HRVHS soccer standout Matt Dallman is making an impact in his second season with the USL Pro Division Pittsburgh Riverhounds. Most recently, the 28-year-old midfielder scored the game-winning goal in a 2-1 victory over the Wilmington Hammerheads to keep his team in ninth-place in USL Pro standings and in a playoff hunt as the season comes to a head.
Dallmann, a 2003 Hood River Valley High School graduate, has spent the last 10 years pursuing a professional soccer career. After high school, he played one season for Chico State before transferring to the University of Portland, where he finished out his college career as a Pilot. He then went on to play several years with European clubs, including four years in Germany, before returning to the U.S. and making his debut with the Riverhounds last July.
More like this story
- Hawk Migration Festival Sept. 23
- Rain eases Eagle Creek Fire, evacuations lifted
- Death Notices for Sept. 19 edition: John Wishart, Linda Fowler, William Weis, James Clifton and Crisoforo Galvan-Herrera
- Service Announcement for Sept. 20 edition: Charles Hiatt
- Evacuations lifted for all Hood River Valley
- ‘Boot Scootin’ Boogie Ball’ Oct. 7
- Weed of the month: English ivy
- Introduction to geocaching meeting Sept. 30 in Parkdale
- Smithsonian’s ‘Museum Day Live!’ celebrated at local museums
- Remembrance ceremony Oct. 15
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge