Saturday, August 10, 2013
Maryhill Museum of Art’s sculpture garden is the idyllic setting for the Maryhill Arts Festival, taking place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 17. Admission to the festival is free.
The festival features artists displaying and selling art in a variety of media, including painting, jewelry, woodworking, pottery, glass, recycled materials and more. Live music, food vendors, and hands-on art activities for families are also on tap.
The younger set can explore their creativity under the Maryhill Art Tent, which offers free, drop-in art activities from 1 to 4 p.m. daily.
Music on Saturday, Aug. 17, will include jazz from Mike Stillman and Friends as well as The Dalles based guitarist Jeff Carrell. On Sunday, Aug. 18, the acoustic duo of Chad and Megan Moody and their refreshing take on folk music, and Northwest folksinger Laddie Ray Melvin take to the stage.
This year the Maryhill Arts Festival also coincides with the museum’s Free Counties Weekend (Aug. 17-18) for residents of the Columbia River Gorge. Residents of Hood River, Jefferson, Wasco, Sherman, and Gillam counties in Oregon and residents of Benton, Franklin, Klickitat, Skamania, Walla Walla, and Columbia counties in Washington need only show their ID (with current address) to receive free admission to the museum.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge