Saturday, August 10, 2013
Maryhill Museum of Art’s sculpture garden is the idyllic setting for the Maryhill Arts Festival, taking place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 17. Admission to the festival is free.
The festival features artists displaying and selling art in a variety of media, including painting, jewelry, woodworking, pottery, glass, recycled materials and more. Live music, food vendors, and hands-on art activities for families are also on tap.
The younger set can explore their creativity under the Maryhill Art Tent, which offers free, drop-in art activities from 1 to 4 p.m. daily.
Music on Saturday, Aug. 17, will include jazz from Mike Stillman and Friends as well as The Dalles based guitarist Jeff Carrell. On Sunday, Aug. 18, the acoustic duo of Chad and Megan Moody and their refreshing take on folk music, and Northwest folksinger Laddie Ray Melvin take to the stage.
This year the Maryhill Arts Festival also coincides with the museum’s Free Counties Weekend (Aug. 17-18) for residents of the Columbia River Gorge. Residents of Hood River, Jefferson, Wasco, Sherman, and Gillam counties in Oregon and residents of Benton, Franklin, Klickitat, Skamania, Walla Walla, and Columbia counties in Washington need only show their ID (with current address) to receive free admission to the museum.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 23 edition: Kenny Newlan and Roland Solberg
- Service announcements for Aug. 23 edition: Gary Thelen and David DeGroot
- Bingen blood drive Aug. 30
- Reader Photos: Enjoying the Eclipse
- Eclipse Scenes
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge