Saturday, August 10, 2013
At the recent District G Lions meeting in Hood River, Past District Governor , Steve Oliver, presented Odell Lions Co-President, Chuck Bugge, with a Lions Club International Foundation check for $75,000.
The check is the result of a successful grant written by the Odell Club to help the FISH Food Bank Building Project.
Lions Club International Foundation supports human and social needs around the globe. Funds for grants are raised by Lions Clubs throughout the world.
Last year, FISH distributed food to more than 14,700 hungry community members through four sites in Hood River County.
FISH Food Bank has been raising funds since November 2011 to construct a new distribution and warehouse facility next to Our Redeemer Lutheran Church.
The Lions Grant is the first large out-of-the-area grant to support the building project. Locally, over $500,000 has been raised through individual, business and civic organization donations. The Food Bank hopes to reach its goal of $980,000 by year’s end with construction to begin in the spring of 2014. Several regional grants have been submitted and several local fundraisers are planned for the fall.
FISH volunteers recently put up a fence along the east side of the Our Redeemer property as a visual barrier for when construction takes place.
More like this story
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
- Another Voice: Preserve our agricultural heritage by making Tanner Ranch a park
- The comfort of quilts: Comfort Quilt Project underway at Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge