Saturday, August 10, 2013
Sen. Chuck Thomsen (R-Hood River) has been appointed to the Legislative Emergency Board, a committee that oversees allocation of state resources through the interim until the 2014 session convenes next February, and deals with any emergency issues that may arise.
“It is an honor to be asked to serve in this role,” said Thomsen. “Serving on the budget committee over the last two sessions has prepared me to do a good job on the Emergency Board.”
The Emergency Board operates during the interim when the Legislature is not in session. It is a joint House and Senate Committee. In consideration of agency requests, the Board allocates emergency funds, increases expenditure limitations, authorizes transfers, receives reports, and approves submissions of federal grant applications. The Board will meet every quarter, or as needed to deal with pressing issues.
Thomsen has served as a Hood River County Commissioner for 16 years. A fourth generation orchardist from Hood River, he was first elected to the State Senate in 2010.
Thomsen graduated from Hood River High School in 1975, and went on to graduate from Willamette University. Thomsen has been a volunteer firefighter with the Pine Grove Fire Department for thirty years.
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge