Saturday, August 10, 2013
Loretta DeKay of White Salmon has been appointed by Washington Governor Jay Inslee to join the Columbia River Gorge Commission.
DeKay has a master’s degree in biological oceanography from the University of Rhode Island and more than 10 years experience as a fishery biologist with the National Marine Fisheries Service in Narragansett, Rhode Island and Galveston, Texas.
Regular moves within the U.S. and overseas with her husband, Lloyd, an exploration geologist, were the impetus for her second career as a substitute teacher in junior high and high schools, English as a Second Language tutor, and as a consultant for ‘settling in’ programs for international employees.
Since moving to the Gorge in 2007, DeKay has been active with the Klickitat Democrats, where she served as county chair, on the state committee, and as a 2012 national delegate.
She is also involved with Oregon Nordic Club — Columbia Gorge Chapter, Mt. Hood Wilderness Stewards, Community Partners, Jamba Marimba Band, and as a volunteer at local wineries.
“I am honored to be part of the team that has stewardship of the National Scenic Area. Over the years we’ve lived here, through community involvement, I’ve come to appreciate the balance that must be found between preserving natural resources and fostering a vibrant local economy. It is exciting to work with leaders, agencies and groups from Oregon and Washington as regional partners in preserving the uniqueness of the Gorge for its residents and visitors.”
DeKay joins the commission at the start of a new budget cycle — the first cycle in six years that the commission is not facing cuts.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge