Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Do you wonder what it takes to write an interesting play or story, one with great characters, dramatic tension, and a way to make people think about it for a long time?
Award-winning playwright Cassandra Medley invites dreamers, schemers and writers of all kinds to a “Writer’s Gym: A Creative Writing Gymnasium” on Monday, Aug. 26, at 7 p.m. at Columbia Center for the Arts in Hood River.
Through various exercises, participants will instigate, develop and rough-draft a one-minute first-person character monologue or story narrative, and encourage, offer and receive exploratory suggestions from the instructor and from fellow members of the class.
Writer’s Gym has a reputation for creating outstanding results in breaking writer’s block, in stimulating creativity and motivating writers to establish stronger contact with their authentic voices. Cost for the workshop is $20.
More like this story
- Newborn season: Fish and Wildlife says leave young wildlife in the wild
- Pool notes: Dollar open swim offered Memorial Day
- Entertainment Update for May 25
- Death announcement for May 23: Anna Olson
- Hood River Valley wins 5A boys track title
- Water bottling ban passes, legal questions remain
- Murder suspect bails out, gets jailed again
- On the Marks: Dist. 52 candidates talk next moves
- Women pastors lead all three UCC congregations in the Gorge
- Fresh Start Culinary Arts seeks applicants for summer
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge