Saturday, August 17, 2013
Columbia Gorge CASA launches a new annual fundraising event called “CASAS for CASA,” a custom-built child’s playhouse raffle. The contemporary playhouse was built for CASA by local contractor Gary Fox, and features a covered front porch, Dutch front door, indoor climbing wall, multiple windows, chalk board walls, and more.
Susan Erickson, CASA’s director, says “the home theme of this event fits perfectly into CASA’s mission, which is to advocate for local children in foster care and ensuring that they are placed in a safe, loving and permanent home as quickly possible.”
Raffle tickets are $20 each or three for $50 and are available at Waucoma Bookstore in Hood River, Klindts Booksellers in The Dalles or via CASA volunteers and staff.
The house will continue to be displayed at community events through the end of August. For an updated list of where it will be next, go to CASA’s website: gorgecasa.org.
More like this story
- ‘Honoring Those Who Have Served’: May 30, 11 a.m., Memorial Day Service
- Entertainment Updtae for May 28
- Death Notices for May 28: Carole Coreson, Lawrence Monaghan
- Highway brush fire in Hood River knocked down
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge