Saturday, August 17, 2013
Gov. John Kitzhaber has ordered all flags at public institutions to be flown at half-staff from sunrise to sunset on Sunday, Aug. 18, in honor of Specialist Nickolas Welch.
“Spc. Welch is an example of the best of Oregon, and we are in debt to him for proudly serving our state and nation,” said Gov. Kitzhaber. “My thoughts are with his family and his unit during this difficult time. I ask all Oregonians to pause this Sunday to honor and remember Spc. Welch’s legacy of service and sacrifice.”
Welch, 26, of Mill City, Ore., died Aug. 6 in Bethesda, Md., of injuries sustained July 23 when enemy forces attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device in Wardak Province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga.
More like this story
- Library announces Odell bus service
- Learn the art of personal storytelling
- Steelhead, Chinook fishing clinic Feb. 27
- Help library win ‘Million Page Challenge’
- Church News: Nazarene’s install new pastor
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 6
- MAILS and Marijuana: Legislators right to work to stamp out a bad, old regulation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 6
- The Porch: Feb. 6
- ‘Pass The Pig’: HRVHS plans FFA Week events