Saturday, August 17, 2013
Odell Nuestra Comunidad Sana hosted a fiesta on Saturday, Aug. 10, to celebrate 25 years of improving health in the Latino community. The fiesta at Odell Community Park was sponsored in large part by healthy food giant Tofurky.
The hit of the day was the Folkloric dancers, who enthralled the crowd of over 200 guests with beautiful traditional Mexican dancing.
The keynote speaker was Alberto Moreno, chair of the Oregon Commission on Hispanic Affairs of the Office of the Governor and director of the Oregon Latino Health Coalition. Moreno honored NCS’s founders and urged guests to keep working toward equity for agriculture workers and all struggling people.
Humberto Calderon, popular DJ on Radio Tierra, served as emcee, introducing trick roping, the dancers, speakers and musicians.
In honor of NCS’s efforts to increase health by increasing opportunities for low-cost physical activity, Veronica Espe led volunteers from the crowd in a Zumba routine. Many former employees and board members attended.
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
- Letters to the Editor for July 23
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge