Saturday, August 17, 2013
Odell Nuestra Comunidad Sana hosted a fiesta on Saturday, Aug. 10, to celebrate 25 years of improving health in the Latino community. The fiesta at Odell Community Park was sponsored in large part by healthy food giant Tofurky.
The hit of the day was the Folkloric dancers, who enthralled the crowd of over 200 guests with beautiful traditional Mexican dancing.
The keynote speaker was Alberto Moreno, chair of the Oregon Commission on Hispanic Affairs of the Office of the Governor and director of the Oregon Latino Health Coalition. Moreno honored NCS’s founders and urged guests to keep working toward equity for agriculture workers and all struggling people.
Humberto Calderon, popular DJ on Radio Tierra, served as emcee, introducing trick roping, the dancers, speakers and musicians.
In honor of NCS’s efforts to increase health by increasing opportunities for low-cost physical activity, Veronica Espe led volunteers from the crowd in a Zumba routine. Many former employees and board members attended.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge