Saturday, August 17, 2013
Odell Nuestra Comunidad Sana hosted a fiesta on Saturday, Aug. 10, to celebrate 25 years of improving health in the Latino community. The fiesta at Odell Community Park was sponsored in large part by healthy food giant Tofurky.
The hit of the day was the Folkloric dancers, who enthralled the crowd of over 200 guests with beautiful traditional Mexican dancing.
The keynote speaker was Alberto Moreno, chair of the Oregon Commission on Hispanic Affairs of the Office of the Governor and director of the Oregon Latino Health Coalition. Moreno honored NCS’s founders and urged guests to keep working toward equity for agriculture workers and all struggling people.
Humberto Calderon, popular DJ on Radio Tierra, served as emcee, introducing trick roping, the dancers, speakers and musicians.
In honor of NCS’s efforts to increase health by increasing opportunities for low-cost physical activity, Veronica Espe led volunteers from the crowd in a Zumba routine. Many former employees and board members attended.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge