Saturday, August 17, 2013
Odell Nuestra Comunidad Sana hosted a fiesta on Saturday, Aug. 10, to celebrate 25 years of improving health in the Latino community. The fiesta at Odell Community Park was sponsored in large part by healthy food giant Tofurky.
The hit of the day was the Folkloric dancers, who enthralled the crowd of over 200 guests with beautiful traditional Mexican dancing.
The keynote speaker was Alberto Moreno, chair of the Oregon Commission on Hispanic Affairs of the Office of the Governor and director of the Oregon Latino Health Coalition. Moreno honored NCS’s founders and urged guests to keep working toward equity for agriculture workers and all struggling people.
Humberto Calderon, popular DJ on Radio Tierra, served as emcee, introducing trick roping, the dancers, speakers and musicians.
In honor of NCS’s efforts to increase health by increasing opportunities for low-cost physical activity, Veronica Espe led volunteers from the crowd in a Zumba routine. Many former employees and board members attended.
More like this story
- Team Osprey competes in Bend Winter Invitational
- Sports briefs for Dec. 13
- Letters to the Editor for Dec. 13
- Off the Rails: Protest oil train regulation rollback
- Hood River Bridge replacement: Understanding the WHATs
- Sheriff's Log, Nov. 26 to Dec. 10
- Happiness Month profile: Slowing down with ‘The Daily Three’
- Menorah Installed
- How to help during the holidays
- Students of the Month: Elks Lodge honors Zorza and Castañeda