Saturday, August 17, 2013
The Congressional Gold Medal, awarded in 2011 to Japanese American World War II veterans in the 100th Infantry Battalion, 442nd Regimental Combat Team, and the Military Intelligence Service (MIS), will be on view at the Oregon Historical Society’s Oregon History Museum in Portland, from Aug. 24 through Sept. 29.
The medal is on a national tour that will visit seven cities in 2013, and the Oregon History Museum is the only Pacific Northwest venue on the tour.
Several Hood Rive Nisei are honored as part of the exhibit.
To kick off this historic exhibit, an opening ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 24, at the Oregon Historical Society. Local Nisei veterans will be invited for a preview tour of the exhibit, and then at 10:30 a.m. the public is invited to a special ceremony where these American heroes will be honored.
Following the ceremony, there will be a luncheon at the Hilton Portland & Executive Tower Grand Ballroom beginning at 11:30 a.m., which will feature keynote presentations by U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs The Honorable Eric K. Shinseki and U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden.
Tickets for the luncheon are $50 per seat, and can be purchased online at oregonnikkei.org or by phone at 503-224-1458.
Following the luncheon, there will be a screening at 2 p.m. of “Honor and Sacrifice,” a documentary about World War II Nisei veteran Roy Matsumoto.
“Nikkei Endowment is excited to bring this historic tour to the Northwest and to partner with the Oregon Historical Society,” said Endowment Executive Director Lynn Fuchigami.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge