Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Did you know that the Hood River County Library Foundation, one of the two library support groups, gave more than $35,000 to the library district this year? Thanks to the Foundation’s contributions, the library district has been able to offer downloadable e-books and audiobooks, magazines and newspapers, a revitalized Spanish language collection, and soon new teen and magazine reading areas.
Since voters passed the library district in 2010, the Library Foundation dedicated itself to supplementing the district’s regular tax funding with additional contributions to improve programs and services. Last year, the Foundation raised $35,000 to donate to the library district’s budget in 2013-14. Already this year, the donation has funded:
- $15,000 toward new magazine and teen areas at Hood River Library;
- The downloadable e-book and audiobook service Library2Go;
- A new projector in the Hood River Library meeting room;
- Magazines and newspapers on topics for nearly any interest in both English and Spanish, for kids, teens, and adults;
- A revitalized the Spanish language collection, purchasing new adult, teen, and kids books, audios, and videos.
Before the end of the year, that $35,000 will go even farther, helping the library district launch two new electronic resources that people will be able to access from home: an auto repair database, allowing people to look up up-to-date information on their vehicles, and two genealogy resources for doing family history.
The Foundation raises funds from a variety of sources including grants, direct mailings, the annual gala Feast of Words (mark your calendars for March 8 of 2014!) and its membership program. People interested in further supporting the library district can do so by becoming Foundation members, which helps the libraries offer even more services in 2014-15.
More information can be found about the Foundation’s membership program at http://www.hoodriverlibrary.org/foundation/membership.html.
For more information about the Hood River County Library Foundation and all that it does, visit http://www.hood-riverlibrary.org/foundation or email email@example.com.
More like this story
- Aporkalypse: Bacon contest fattens coffers at Helping Hands
- The Ale List: ‘Zwickelmania’ returns, Full Sail taps Wheatwine
- YESTERYEARS: DaKine, Pro Motion relocating to Hood River in 1986
- Cascade Observations: Sweetness of Winter
- Parenting program starts in Cascade Locks
- Second Saturday will be all about pilots
- Five Gorge wines earn medals
- Revenue steps up fraud, identity theft prevention
- Father of the Bride
- City, county support affordable housing bill