Saturday, August 24, 2013
Unemployment figures for the month of July have been released and show that Hood River County is in better economic straits than almost all other counties in Oregon.
According to the Oregon Employment Department, Hood River County’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for July 2013 was 6.2 percent — the lowest rate for all Oregon counties except for Benton, which has an unemployment rate of 6 percent. The July figures represent a slight improvement over June, when unemployment in Hood River County was listed at 6.3 percent. In July 2012, Hood River County’s unemployment was at 6.9 percent. Hood River County is more than a full point below the national unemployment rate, which was 7.4 percent for July.
Hood River County’s unemployment rate is the lowest it has been since October 2008 — one month after the collapse of Wall Street heralded the start of the Great Recession.
Hood River County’s total nonfarm payroll employment (not seasonally adjusted) is also high for the five-county economic region that also includes Wheeler, Gilliam, Sherman, and Wasco counties. The county had 10,500 nonfarm payroll employees, which marked a 1.2-percent increase from the previous month. Hood River County was the only county in the five-county area to experience positive growth in this area. The state average for growth in nonfarm payroll employment was down 1.3 percent from the month of June.
For more in-depth statewide statistics, visit the Oregon Employment Department at http://bit.ly/14pmuhs
More like this story
- HRC tied for lowest unemployment rate
- Hood River County is at its lowest unemployment rate in over five years
- Hood River beats out Benton County for lowest unemployment
- County unemployment falls to 5.1 percent, state’s lowest
- Summer jobs sizzle in Gorge: HR unemployment up in July but still best in state
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge