Saturday, August 31, 2013
Scarlet Thistle Studio presents Amber Charms at the Columbia Center for the Arts in Hood River on Sept. 14.
Showcasing award-winning performers and internationally acclaimed artists from the Pacific Northwest, Amber Charms displays traditional and contemporary interpretations of the ancient art form known as belly dance. Featuring performers from the Gorge, Amber Charms presents improvisational American Tribal Style, classic Oriental Dance and Belly Dance Fusion with each distinctive style exemplifying the evolution and ongoing transformation of this vibrant art form. Scarlet Thistle Belly Dance from Hood River is the Gorge’s own Tribal Style group
Tickets may be purchased in advance online for $12 at scarletthistlestudio.com, or at Waucoma Bookstore and the Center for the Arts in Hood River. They will be sold for $15 at the door. The concert will run roughly 90 minutes plus an intermission. Doors open at 7 p.m.
For more information visit ScarletThistleStudio.com or columbiaarts.org.
Belly dance is both a celebration of the female spirit and a physical display of the strength and beauty of women. Its roots can be traced back to the rituals of past matriarchal cultures and to the secular entertainments that evolved as itinerant performers traveled through India, Central Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and Spain.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge