Saturday, August 31, 2013
Scarlet Thistle Studio presents Amber Charms at the Columbia Center for the Arts in Hood River on Sept. 14.
Showcasing award-winning performers and internationally acclaimed artists from the Pacific Northwest, Amber Charms displays traditional and contemporary interpretations of the ancient art form known as belly dance. Featuring performers from the Gorge, Amber Charms presents improvisational American Tribal Style, classic Oriental Dance and Belly Dance Fusion with each distinctive style exemplifying the evolution and ongoing transformation of this vibrant art form. Scarlet Thistle Belly Dance from Hood River is the Gorge’s own Tribal Style group
Tickets may be purchased in advance online for $12 at scarletthistlestudio.com, or at Waucoma Bookstore and the Center for the Arts in Hood River. They will be sold for $15 at the door. The concert will run roughly 90 minutes plus an intermission. Doors open at 7 p.m.
For more information visit ScarletThistleStudio.com or columbiaarts.org.
Belly dance is both a celebration of the female spirit and a physical display of the strength and beauty of women. Its roots can be traced back to the rituals of past matriarchal cultures and to the secular entertainments that evolved as itinerant performers traveled through India, Central Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and Spain.
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge