Saturday, August 31, 2013
Scarlet Thistle Studio presents Amber Charms at the Columbia Center for the Arts in Hood River on Sept. 14.
Showcasing award-winning performers and internationally acclaimed artists from the Pacific Northwest, Amber Charms displays traditional and contemporary interpretations of the ancient art form known as belly dance. Featuring performers from the Gorge, Amber Charms presents improvisational American Tribal Style, classic Oriental Dance and Belly Dance Fusion with each distinctive style exemplifying the evolution and ongoing transformation of this vibrant art form. Scarlet Thistle Belly Dance from Hood River is the Gorge’s own Tribal Style group
Tickets may be purchased in advance online for $12 at scarletthistlestudio.com, or at Waucoma Bookstore and the Center for the Arts in Hood River. They will be sold for $15 at the door. The concert will run roughly 90 minutes plus an intermission. Doors open at 7 p.m.
For more information visit ScarletThistleStudio.com or columbiaarts.org.
Belly dance is both a celebration of the female spirit and a physical display of the strength and beauty of women. Its roots can be traced back to the rituals of past matriarchal cultures and to the secular entertainments that evolved as itinerant performers traveled through India, Central Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and Spain.
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Hotel turns on its lights Nov. 25
- Betty and Kenny Short celebrate 65 years
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge