Saturday, August 31, 2013
A controversial wind farm proposal slated for construction on forestland in Skamania County has been upheld by the Washington Supreme Court.
In an opinion released on Thursday, the state’s highest court of law denied an appeal filed by Friends of the Columbia Gorge that challenged the legitimacy of the site certification agreement for the Whistling Ridge Energy Project.
“We find no basis to reverse the Energy Facility Site Evaluation Council’s recommendation or the governor’s approval of the project,” wrote Justice Charles W. Johnson, author of the decision.
The wind farm is planned to be located on SDS Lumber Co. and Broughton Lumber Co. land in southeastern Skamania County. Though located outside the National Scenic Area, the project has attracted controversy since some of the project’s 35 wind turbines would be visible from White Salmon and Hood River, according to environmental groups.
Though the court found in favor of the project proponents, it is unknown whether the facility will move forward. Jason Spadaro, president of SDS Lumber and Whistling Ridge Energy Partners, has said in the past that economic factors and a reduction in the project’s size may put the wind farm’s future in doubt.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge