Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Hood River News and The Dalles Chronicle have joined forces for “Gorge Giving,” a new publication that is inserted in this edition.
Gorge Giving’s 60 pages provide a comprehensive guide to nonprofits of the Gorge and ways to help them. As publishers Joe Petshow of the News and Marilyn Roth of the Chronicle write in the guide’s page 3 welcome:
“Just as the Gorge appeals to people in many different ways, this book has information about a variety of nonprofits. One hope is that by reading about the work these organizations do for the betterment of our communities, people will be inspired to volunteer or become partners in some way in their nonprofit missions.
“Featured in this book are the efforts of numerous organizations whose financial and other support has fostered the Gorge’s giving spirit. They bolster health services, programs that benefit children, seniors, education and learning.”
From United Way and Helping Hands Against Violence to the Columbia Gorge Community College Foundation to Athletes 4 Cancer, the guide is chock-full of ideas. The goal for future editions will be to make it an all-encompassing resource for nonprofits and their supporters.
Newspapers such as ours view our role as a partner with nonprofits to help them spread the word about their works and their needs.
Gorge Giving is one more compendium in this mission, and we present it now in the season when people are mindful of giving. However, contained in each organization’s listing in Gorge Giving are programs and events throughout 2014.
The works and the needs go on.
More like this story
- Fireworks: ‘Keep it safe, keep it legal’
- Youth mobile nutrition program returns at two Hood River locations
- County board slates $200K in Windmaster Plan for Airport
- ‘Stick to the Westside plan’
- Letters to the Editor for June 28
- Math in a Basket: a second grade teacher sees the connections
- Public Records: Building Records
- Find Your Park
- YESTERYEARS ‘Capacity crowd’ fills Hood River High School auditorium for Flag Day in 1947
- HRVST Osprey swimmers post state-qualifying times at Howard Jones invitationals in Gresham
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge