Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Short column this week — but there’s a lot going on.
Wy’east Middle School PTO will receive 20 percent of all sales at Pietro’s Pizza Dec. 3-4, but the catch is that customers must mention the Wy’east PTO when placing their order for the PTO to get the donation. Funds will provide enrichment activities for students.
The Pine Grove-Odell United Methodist Church will hold its Christmas Bazaar Dec. 6 at the Odell church site from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. You’ll find Christmas crafts, home-baked goods, soup and homemade pie with ice cream.
The Last Chance Christmas Bazaar takes place Dec. 14-15 at the Hood River County Fairgrounds in the Community Building. One-of-a-kind gifts from bakers, soap makers, jewelers, artists and photographers will be offered at more than 40 booths. Lunch items will also be available.
For those seeking a safe spot to store cars, RVs, boats and motor homes, Fair Manager Clara Rice says secured storage spaces are now available at the fairgrounds. For more information call the fair office at 541-354-2865.
More like this story
- Death notices for May 4: Jerry Osbourn, Edward Adams, and John Phillips
- Service announcement for May 4: Audrey Thornton
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge