Friday, December 6, 2013
4:30 p.m.: Due to inclement weather, and other unforeseen circumstances, delivery of some of the Dec. 7 Hood River News routes will be delayed.
3:30 p.m.:The Hood River tree lighting and other festivities scheduled for tonight have been postponed. All events have tentatively been rescheduled for Dec. 13.
12:30 p.m.: National weather service issues wind chill advisory in the Gorge.
11:10 a.m.: Hood River County School District reports all Cascade Locks K-12 students are being sent home early.
11 a.m.: No bridge closure on Bridge of the Gods this weekend, per the Port of Cascade Locks. Contractor has temporarily halted work due to weather conditions and will not resume until Monday.
9 a.m.: Horizon Christian school has cancelled Friday evening basketball games. After school practices are also cancelled. Saturday games are still on.
More like this story
- Newborn season: Fish and Wildlife says leave young wildlife in the wild
- Pool notes: Dollar open swim offered Memorial Day
- Entertainment Update for May 25
- Death announcement for May 23: Anna Olson
- Hood River Valley wins 5A boys track title
- Water bottling ban passes, legal questions remain
- Murder suspect bails out, gets jailed again
- On the Marks: Dist. 52 candidates talk next moves
- Women pastors lead all three UCC congregations in the Gorge
- Fresh Start Culinary Arts seeks applicants for summer
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge