Friday, December 6, 2013
4:30 p.m.: Due to inclement weather, and other unforeseen circumstances, delivery of some of the Dec. 7 Hood River News routes will be delayed.
3:30 p.m.:The Hood River tree lighting and other festivities scheduled for tonight have been postponed. All events have tentatively been rescheduled for Dec. 13.
12:30 p.m.: National weather service issues wind chill advisory in the Gorge.
11:10 a.m.: Hood River County School District reports all Cascade Locks K-12 students are being sent home early.
11 a.m.: No bridge closure on Bridge of the Gods this weekend, per the Port of Cascade Locks. Contractor has temporarily halted work due to weather conditions and will not resume until Monday.
9 a.m.: Horizon Christian school has cancelled Friday evening basketball games. After school practices are also cancelled. Saturday games are still on.
More like this story
- Hood River County Reads celebrates its 10th anniversary — 11 years in
- Little free library idea
- Art of Community adds Soderberg-Greene work
- Bike Buddies reports successful weekend event
- Lion King Jr. comes to Wy'east Middle School
- YESTERYEARS: New skate park in planning stages in 1996
- Aubree Olmstead heads Columbia Basin facility
- Heart of Hospice notes Volunteer Appreciation Week
- County sets temporary rules on marijuana grows
- Puff Factory to break ground in Odell
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge