Saturday, December 7, 2013
Cascade Locks The Port of Cascade Locks has announced that more nighttime closures will be coming to the Bridge of the Gods as contractors work to finish repairs on the structure by the end of the year.
Starting next week, the bridge is scheduled to be closed to traffic Saturday night from 9 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. in addition to the Monday-Friday nighttime closures that are already in effect. Emergency vehicles will still be allowed to cross the bridge if necessary.
The bridge was originally supposed to be closed starting this Saturday night, but work has been pushed back to Monday due to the weather.
The closures will allow Wildish, a contracting company from Eugene, to repair or replace some of the bridges corroding support beams, called “stringers.” The Oregon Department of Transportation has lowered the structure’s weight limit, which effectively bars heavy trucks from crossing the bridge until the repairs are completed, which is expected to be at the end of December.
More work unrelated to the weight restrictions will continue on the bridge throughout January, with Wildish contractually obligated to finish the work by mid-February, according to the port. Nighttime closures are expected to last until the completion of the project.
The port advises bridge users that the work schedule is “dependent on the weather and delivery of materials” and there may be a possibility of Sunday night closures, which will be determined by Thursday of each week. Work is not scheduled for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or New Year’s Day and the Port Commission of Cascade Locks also recently voted to waive toll charges for all bridge users from 8 p.m. Dec. 24 to 7 a.m. Dec. 26.
A link has been added to the port’s home page — portofcascadelocks.com — that provides the latest closure information for the Bridge of the Gods. The port is also currently in the process of getting the bridge status posted on the ODOT’s TripCheck website and 511 travel information phone hotline. Those who would like to be added to the bride update listserv can contact the port at 541-374-8619 or kbengtson@portof
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge