Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Hood River photographer Peter Marbach presents an evening journeying into the heart and soul of Nepal, Dec. 18 at Columbia Center for the Arts.
The evening will include a silent auction and no-host bar starting at 6:30 p.m. with the slideshow and talk beginning 7:30 p.m. Admission is a $5 suggested donation, at the door. All proceeds will benefit the work of Jagat Lama’s clinic in Kumari, Nepal.
In spring 2013, Marbach volunteered with the Mountain Leadership Institute and Freesolo Collective film crew on an expedition to the remote village of Kumari to document the life story of trek guide Jagat Lama, who is featured in the film “Kumari: The Jagat Lama Story.”
“I saw my role as bearing witness to Jagat’s work and the best way I could be of service was to take pictures as sensitively as I could in order to help him down the road, and in service of the film,” Marbach said. “During the week I was there, I saw so much pain; but at the same time there was a warmth emanating from these people I have never seen in my life ... I think it was pure love, despite having nothing.”
PocketFuel and Shortt Supply are event sponsors. Ryan’s Juice will match the first $500 raised. Silent auction items include a chance to bid on reserving a spot on the 2015 Mountain Leadership expedition and service project to Nepal.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge