Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Residents of Providence Brookside Manor’s Memory Care unit were evacuated after a water pipe broke early Monday morning, a result of freezing temperatures.
Staff said Hood River Fire and EMS responded, pushing water out of the building and lessening the damage.
Susan Frost, Providence manager of public relations, said residents, staff and caregivers have been moved to Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital’s brand-new rehabilitation unit, located at the west end of the main building, until repairs are completed.
“Manager Jamie Hanshaw did an outstanding job of acting as quickly as possible to ensure the residents had as little difficulty as possible,” said Frost.
“Today has been seamless,” said Hanshaw. “We were faced with a problem and worked as a team to minimize the impact for our residents. We are glad to be part of Providence so we could act quickly and move our residents to one location to keep them together. Having our own staff of caregivers accompany and care for our residents in this temporary location is providing extra comfort and reassurance.”
Brookside staff “is taking (the temporary move) in stride and making sure everyone is having as good an experience as possible,” Frost said.
Friends and family are welcome to visit residents in their temporary quarters. At press time, Frost expected Brookside residents would be able to move back within 48 to 72 hours of the event. The rest of the building was not affected by the pipe damage.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
- Santa Cruz, Fetkenhour April ‘Students of the Month’
- Picard resigns from Hood River city council over STR issue
- Cascade Locks city council continuing with Nestlé plans despite passage of 14-55
- An early exit for HRV boys lax, but not a disappointment
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge