Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Ciena Brittle put on quite a show in last week’s Tuesday morning ladies Workshirkers league at Hood River’s Orchard Lanes. The 19-year-old Columbia Gorge Community College freshman simply blew the pins apart with a huge 258 game and a fine 622 series. Ciena is a talented bowler who has just begun to scratch the surface of her potential in tenpins.
She has all the tools. She has a flawless approach and her footwork synchronizes perfectly with her arm swing, which allows her to walk, swing the ball and get to the foul line in perfect timing. The ball then comes off her hand at the release point, thumb out first, then the fingers, spinning the ball in a counter-clockwise rotation to produce a beautiful hook that she controls like a master. As a result, she posts big numbers like these and she’s not even 20 years old. Many women bowl the entire lives and they don’t shoot scores like these.
Ciena wants to go to Wichita State University because it has the best bowling program in the country, having produced multiple national collegiate champions in both men’s and women’s competition. Attention Wichita State: You couldn’t get a better recruit than Ciena. She will be a star for you and give you many more national championships. She should get a scholarship.
Leading all scoring last week was lefty Wally Jaksha, who had that big breaking hook of his right on the money all night long in the Monday Industrial league, where he pummeled the pins to the tune of a stellar 706 series. He has definitely returned to form lately and is now carrying a solid 203 average. We expect this from Wally as he has logged many big ones in the past and has been one of the top bowlers around here for many years.
While we’re on the subject of a 200 average, let’s all send a hearty congratulation to Levi Phelps, who just joined that elite club after firing a big 258 game and 639 series in the Wednesday night Fraternal league. This is another talented youngster who we expect to see big things from in the future.
Great bowling everybody!
TEAM OF THE WEEK
Wally Jaksha (2), 706
Jeff Miller (4), 687
Roger Montavon (4), 657
Erin Mason (2), 656
Jan Halstead (2), 649
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: ‘Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead’ at CCA
- HR County Library District holds annual Unity Picnic to celebrate diversity, reading
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River pool facing possible closure in 1987
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 23
- ANOTHER VOICE: Call on Gorge Commission to take a stand on coal transport pollution
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 23 edition
- Lions Fundraiser ‘Applerama’ in danger of cancellation
- The Ale List: Full Sail and Harrington team up with Red Ale
- ‘Sketchbook Project’ invites conversation
- poTENtial series continues at Center for Arts
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge