Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Hood River photographer Peter Marbach presents an evening journeying into the heart and soul of Nepal on Dec. 18 at Columbia Center for the Arts.
The evening will include a silent auction and no-host bar starting at 6:30 p.m. with the slideshow and talk beginning 7:30 p.m. Admission is a $5 suggested donation, at the door. All proceeds will benefit the work of Jagat Lama’s clinic in Kumari, Nepal.
In spring 2013, Marbach volunteered with the Mountain Leadership Institute and Freesolo Collective film crew on an expedition to the remote village of Kumari to document the life story of trek guide Jagat Lama, who is featured in the film “Kumari: The Jagat Lama Story.”
“I saw my role as bearing witness to Jagat’s work and the best way I could be of service was to take pictures as sensitively as I could in order to help him down the road, and in service of the film,” Marbach said.
“During the week I was there, I saw so much pain; but at the same time there was a warmth emanating from these people I have never seen in my life. I don’t know if it’s my simplistic idea that because they’re unencumbered by the all the Western stuff we think we need, or their Buddhist belief system; it was something I had never witnessed. I think it was pure love, despite having nothing.”
PocketFuel and Shortt Supply are event sponsors. Ryan’s Juice will match the first $500 raised.
Silent auction items include a very special item — a chance to bid on reserving a spot on the 2015 Mountain Leadership expedition and service project to Nepal.
More like this story
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Gorge Soup adds ‘Visual Arts’ event
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
- Fruit and Craft Fair adds ranch sorting and other events
- Harvest Quilt fundraiser on now
- Kegler's Corner: Jeff Furlong stars at Orchard Lanes
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge