Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Hood River photographer Peter Marbach presents an evening journeying into the heart and soul of Nepal on Dec. 18 at Columbia Center for the Arts.
The evening will include a silent auction and no-host bar starting at 6:30 p.m. with the slideshow and talk beginning 7:30 p.m. Admission is a $5 suggested donation, at the door. All proceeds will benefit the work of Jagat Lama’s clinic in Kumari, Nepal.
In spring 2013, Marbach volunteered with the Mountain Leadership Institute and Freesolo Collective film crew on an expedition to the remote village of Kumari to document the life story of trek guide Jagat Lama, who is featured in the film “Kumari: The Jagat Lama Story.”
“I saw my role as bearing witness to Jagat’s work and the best way I could be of service was to take pictures as sensitively as I could in order to help him down the road, and in service of the film,” Marbach said.
“During the week I was there, I saw so much pain; but at the same time there was a warmth emanating from these people I have never seen in my life. I don’t know if it’s my simplistic idea that because they’re unencumbered by the all the Western stuff we think we need, or their Buddhist belief system; it was something I had never witnessed. I think it was pure love, despite having nothing.”
PocketFuel and Shortt Supply are event sponsors. Ryan’s Juice will match the first $500 raised.
Silent auction items include a very special item — a chance to bid on reserving a spot on the 2015 Mountain Leadership expedition and service project to Nepal.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge