Saturday, December 21, 2013
HOOD RIVER —The Hood River Bagel Company at 13 Oak Street is a surprising location for the planned development of over 100 houses.
Until you realize that the houses are gingerbread.
“This is my fourth year constructing gingerbread houses for the holidays, and orders are up slightly from 2012,” said owner Autumn Woods. The housing project is actually the holiday activity for second grade classes at Mid Valley and May Street Elementary Schools.
“The houses are truly a labor of love,” said Woods. “The classes cover the costs of the raw materials and I donate the time of production. I’ll spend over 26 hours mixing and rolling dough, cutting, baking and assembling the houses. The thing that is most satisfying is the hand written notes and pictures from the students. They love decorating the houses and, sometimes, eating them!”
Additional “spec” homes will be available for purchase at Hood River Bagel for $7 each. Orders for more than five houses should be called in to 541-386-2123 for custom production. The shop is open 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays to Sundays as well as Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. Hood River Bagel will be closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Mosier groundwater contaminated after derailment spill
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge