Saturday, December 21, 2013
HOOD RIVER —The Hood River Bagel Company at 13 Oak Street is a surprising location for the planned development of over 100 houses.
Until you realize that the houses are gingerbread.
“This is my fourth year constructing gingerbread houses for the holidays, and orders are up slightly from 2012,” said owner Autumn Woods. The housing project is actually the holiday activity for second grade classes at Mid Valley and May Street Elementary Schools.
“The houses are truly a labor of love,” said Woods. “The classes cover the costs of the raw materials and I donate the time of production. I’ll spend over 26 hours mixing and rolling dough, cutting, baking and assembling the houses. The thing that is most satisfying is the hand written notes and pictures from the students. They love decorating the houses and, sometimes, eating them!”
Additional “spec” homes will be available for purchase at Hood River Bagel for $7 each. Orders for more than five houses should be called in to 541-386-2123 for custom production. The shop is open 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays to Sundays as well as Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. Hood River Bagel will be closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: ‘Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead’ at CCA
- HR County Library District holds annual Unity Picnic to celebrate diversity, reading
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River pool facing possible closure in 1987
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 23
- ANOTHER VOICE: Call on Gorge Commission to take a stand on coal transport pollution
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 23 edition
- Lions Fundraiser ‘Applerama’ in danger of cancellation
- The Ale List: Full Sail and Harrington team up with Red Ale
- ‘Sketchbook Project’ invites conversation
- poTENtial series continues at Center for Arts
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge