Saturday, December 21, 2013
The Next Door announced its Volunteer of the Year for 2013, Gary Cassady, in a ceremony this week.
Cassady was honored for his work with participants in the Independent Living Program and Oregon Trail Transitional Housing Program in The Dalles.
In presenting the award, Program Manager Livia Colbert stated, “He is always willing to help in whatever way is needed most. It is people like Gary Cassady who make a difference for foster teens.
“Over the last year and a half Cassady has been a consistent resource for both programs. Because of his commitment, staff were able to offer more classes, activities, and face-to-face time with participants. This made a huge difference in the individual lives of the foster teens in the program.
“Cassady generously shares his time, energy, wisdom, sense of humor, and experiences with the teens. No matter what the task, he is quick to help with errands, gathering donations, organizing group meals, transportation, and most importantly, he serves as a role model for many youth.”
Responding to the award, Cassady stated, “I greatly admire The Next Door. It is an honor to be able to volunteer in this fantastic organization. To be honored by you blows me away.”
Cassady also serves as an official mentor through The Next Door’s Mentor for Success.
The Next Door honors a Volunteer of the Year in order to encourage volunteerism in the community and provide a role model for aspiring volunteers.
The Next Door is a local nonprofit whose mission is opening doors to new possibilities by strengthening children and families and improving communities.
More like this story
- Fireworks: ‘Keep it safe, keep it legal’
- Youth mobile nutrition program returns at two Hood River locations
- County board slates $200K in Windmaster Plan for Airport
- ‘Stick to the Westside plan’
- Letters to the Editor for June 28
- Math in a Basket: a second grade teacher sees the connections
- Public Records: Building Records
- Find Your Park
- YESTERYEARS ‘Capacity crowd’ fills Hood River High School auditorium for Flag Day in 1947
- HRVST Osprey swimmers post state-qualifying times at Howard Jones invitationals in Gresham
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge