Saturday, December 21, 2013
Gorge Owned welcomes Hood River Mayor and history enthusiast Arthur Babitz to Springhouse Cellar Winery on Wednesday, Jan. 8, as part of the Sense of Place lecture series. Babitz will explore the rich and well-documented past of Hood River using photographic archives of The History Museum of Hood River County.
From the waterfront to the downtown business district, from fruit packing to wine tasting, he will shed light on the development of Hood River’s landscape. He will provide insights on the city’s residents, explore how they lived, and show what they left behind.
Babitz’ presentation will include a rare film clip of one of the most emotional days in Hood River history.
Babitz is an electrical engineer and the mayor of Hood River. His interest in photography began with childhood hours in the darkroom, and his interest in history extends almost as far back. He is currently helping The History Museum digitize and organize its collection of photographic images, and has seen most of the 13,000 images in the collection.
The event will be held Wednesday, Jan. 8, at Springhouse Cellar Winery. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the lecture begins at 7 p.m. Come early to enjoy a glass of wine or beer and meet others in the community.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 23 edition: Kenny Newlan and Roland Solberg
- Service announcements for Aug. 23 edition: Gary Thelen and David DeGroot
- Bingen blood drive Aug. 30
- Reader Photos: Enjoying the Eclipse
- Eclipse Scenes
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge