Saturday, December 21, 2013
Knights of Columbus free throw contest Jan. 4
Attention hoopsters ages 9-14, the annual Knights of Columbus free throw contest is coming to Hood River Valley High School on Saturday, Jan. 4. Participants can show up and compete any time between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. that day (entry fee and parent signature required). Winners of each of the 12 divisions will receive trophies.
Horizon girls win one
Finishing a three-game road trip on a positive note, the Horizon Christian School varsity girls basketball team rebounded from two tough losses earlier in the week to defeat Tualatin’s Horizon Christian School 28-23. The win is the team’s second of the season. Trista Hicks led the team with a game-high 12 points against the 3A Hawks, followed by Jodee Hicks with seven, Haley Becnel with five and Hannah Lingel and Hannah Kempf with two apiece. The girls claimed the win after a 58-12 loss Dec. 13 and a 85-19 loss Dec. 14 at the Cougar Classic tournament. They hosted Portland Lutheran Wednesday in a tough 50-20 loss.
Columbia Gorge Baseball hosts pitching camp
Columbia Gorge Baseball and Portland Pitching is hosting a series of three off-season pitching camps running Jan. 5, 9 and 26 at Hood River Valley High School’s indoor batting facility. The camp will be split into age groups of 10-12 and 13-14 and will include dynamic stretching, pitching mechanics, drills, goal setting and mental components and strategies of pitching.
Prices are $30 per 90-minute session or $75 for all three. To register call CGB at 509-540-1309 or visit portlandpitching.com/cgb-pitching-camp.
More like this story
- Heights house fire roars up Friday
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge