Tuesday, February 5, 2013
2011 Hood River Valley High School graduate and former Eagle basketball MVP Chris Dirks had a breakout game Saturday as he posed his first college career double-double for the Linfield Wildcats against the George Fox Bruins. The 6’5” forward had 10 points and 11 rebounds in the game. The Wildcats, now 2-10 in the Northwest Conference, lost the game, 75-55, to the Bruins, who are holding the second place NWC standing.
In his sophomore year at Linfield, Dirks is majoring in math and is in the school’s education program with the intent of becoming a teacher and coach. His athletic career at HRVHS included four years of basketball and lacrosse. During his senior year with Eagle basketball Dirks was named a varsity team captain, was named girst yeam all-league and was voted the team’s most valuable player.
Chris’s older brother, Andrew, was a 2009 HRVHS graduate and is now a senior at Oregon State University where he will soon begin his fourth year on the OSU lacrosse team.
More like this story
- ‘Kindergarten Roundup’ May 1-5 for Hood River County School District
- Students ‘Make a Difference’
- Pick of the Week: Lions Follies benefit Oregon Sight and Hearing Foundation
- Farming film screening and discussion happen April 27
- Rotary Peace Pole
- YESTERYEARS: ‘Lure of Hood River Valley’ booklet available in 1927
- Letters to the Editor for April 26
- See Follies: Four strong reasons to attend a classic community event
- Entertainment Update for April 26
- ‘Midsummer’ auditions May 6-7
I Can't Keep Quiet singers at "Citizen Town Hall"
‘I can’t keep quiet,’ sing members of an impromptu choir in front of Hood River Middle School Saturday prior to the citizen town hall for questions to Rep. Greg Walden. The song addresses female empowerment generally and sexual violence implicitly, and gained prominence during the International Women’s Day events in January. The singers braved a sudden squall to finish their song and about 220 people gathered in HRMS auditorium, which will be the scene of the April 12 town hall with Rep. Greg Walden, at 3 p.m. Enlarge