Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Mt. Hood Meadows Nordic Center hosted one of two Oregon High School Nordic Organization night meets last Friday. Night meets are typically used as auxiliary contests so racers can meet the quota of finishing three meets in the league to be eligible for the state meet March 1-2. Friday’s activities consisted of a two-lap loop “skate style” course in the late afternoon light, a fun team relay at twilight and a barbecue and awards ceremony in full dark, illuminated by lantern light.
For the Hood River Valley team, Sam Wiley took the lead early after a mass start and held it for all but the very end of the race. Bend’s Peter Schwarz passed Wiley at the line to finish with a one-second lead and first place. Wiley was followed by HRV racers Nils Engbersen in seventh, Billy Edwards in 12th and Alex Chadney in 22nd, out of a field of 37 boys. The finishes put the boys at second as a team, out of five.
The HRV girls placed four on the podium for a second-place team finish out of six. Petra Knapp led the squad with a third-place finish, followed by Delia Dolan in fifth, Miranda Starr in eighth and Denali Emmons in 10th. Victoria Kohner-Flannagan, Althea Dillon, Lauren Robinson, Maddie Ticknor, Ellen Hudon, Rikki Studanski and Lydia McElderry also raced for HRV in a show of the team’s great depth.
Next up for HRV Nordic is the second night meet on Thursday followed by a Feb. 16 pursuit race at Mt. Hood Meadows.
More like this story
- UPDATE: Southeast Mt. Hood fire grows to 60 acres
- Service announcement for Oct. 10
- Death notices for Oct. 7
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Gorge Soup adds ‘Visual Arts’ event
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge