Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Mt. Hood Meadows Nordic Center hosted one of two Oregon High School Nordic Organization night meets last Friday. Night meets are typically used as auxiliary contests so racers can meet the quota of finishing three meets in the league to be eligible for the state meet March 1-2. Friday’s activities consisted of a two-lap loop “skate style” course in the late afternoon light, a fun team relay at twilight and a barbecue and awards ceremony in full dark, illuminated by lantern light.
For the Hood River Valley team, Sam Wiley took the lead early after a mass start and held it for all but the very end of the race. Bend’s Peter Schwarz passed Wiley at the line to finish with a one-second lead and first place. Wiley was followed by HRV racers Nils Engbersen in seventh, Billy Edwards in 12th and Alex Chadney in 22nd, out of a field of 37 boys. The finishes put the boys at second as a team, out of five.
The HRV girls placed four on the podium for a second-place team finish out of six. Petra Knapp led the squad with a third-place finish, followed by Delia Dolan in fifth, Miranda Starr in eighth and Denali Emmons in 10th. Victoria Kohner-Flannagan, Althea Dillon, Lauren Robinson, Maddie Ticknor, Ellen Hudon, Rikki Studanski and Lydia McElderry also raced for HRV in a show of the team’s great depth.
Next up for HRV Nordic is the second night meet on Thursday followed by a Feb. 16 pursuit race at Mt. Hood Meadows.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge