Friday, February 15, 2013
Walter & the Conqueror is living up to its name.
The rock band, composed of HRVHS students and graduates, beat out over 25 other bands in a Feb. 2 battle of the bands known as Wicked Winterfest.
W&TC took home the $600 first prize at the event, held at Roseland Theater in Portland and the band garnered invitations to play more Portland gigs.
“There was a giant crowd of Hood River people who turned out. It was really great to play in front of them,” said Noa Edwards, lyricist and lead guitarist for the band’s original music.
Adam Kuatt, bassist, and Cooper Holzman, percussion and piano, work with Edwards to write the band’s music, which according to Edwards, is “energetic, with a ’90s rock kind of feel.” The trio forms the core of the group and plan on a full-time music career after Edwards and Holzman graduate HRVHS – Kuatt graduated last year.
For the Feb. 2 battle, W&TC brought in additional Hood River talent to flesh out their sound, including singers Susan Raulston, Jacob Mears and guitarist Marten Sova.
The battle went from 11:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. with W&TC earning an 8:10 p.m. performance slot.
“The slot was based on how many tickets our group sold. We had 59. That gave us a better time,” said Edwards, who was appreciative of the “Hood River bump” – also known as “the community support that regularly turns out for the local talent.”
The band will play a gig at Portland’s Backspace on April 25. They are also in the final mix stage for their first album release, due out in about six weeks.
To view one of the band’s winning songs see youtube.com/watch?v=zZXYcvHquul or visit walterandtheconqueror.com for more performance dates.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge