Friday, February 15, 2013
High school winter sports seasons are coming quckly to an end, but before they do there’s the little detail of determining the best of the best. This weekend features a heafty serving of action for even the hungriest of sports fans. Here’s a summary:
n State swimming: Hood River Valley High School boys and girls swim teams won overall district titles last weekend and sent more than a dozen swimmers to Mt. Hood Community College Friday and Saturday for the state meet. Finals for the 5A field will run Saturday from 1-4 p.m.
n Distrtict wrestling: Eagle wrestlers battle for state berths this weekend at the 5A Special District 1 championships at Marshall High School, where the top three wrestlers from each weight class advance to Oregon’s big show next weekend at the Memorial Coliseum.
n 1A basketball league playoffs: The undefeated Horizion Christian School Hawks are in Hermiston this weekend as the heavily favored top seed in the Big Sky League playoffs. The 1A state tournament runs Feb. 27 to March 2 at Baker High School.
n Ski and snowboard contests: Hood River Valley High School ski team has its second of three giant slalom races Saturday and the freestyle team has its first halfpipe contest Monday, both at Mt. Hood Meadows; the HRV nordic team has a race Saturday, also at MHM.
More like this story
- Motorcyclist killed in spilled lumber crash
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- Shoreline trail widened under HR Bridge
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge