Friday, February 15, 2013
High school winter sports seasons are coming quckly to an end, but before they do there’s the little detail of determining the best of the best. This weekend features a heafty serving of action for even the hungriest of sports fans. Here’s a summary:
n State swimming: Hood River Valley High School boys and girls swim teams won overall district titles last weekend and sent more than a dozen swimmers to Mt. Hood Community College Friday and Saturday for the state meet. Finals for the 5A field will run Saturday from 1-4 p.m.
n Distrtict wrestling: Eagle wrestlers battle for state berths this weekend at the 5A Special District 1 championships at Marshall High School, where the top three wrestlers from each weight class advance to Oregon’s big show next weekend at the Memorial Coliseum.
n 1A basketball league playoffs: The undefeated Horizion Christian School Hawks are in Hermiston this weekend as the heavily favored top seed in the Big Sky League playoffs. The 1A state tournament runs Feb. 27 to March 2 at Baker High School.
n Ski and snowboard contests: Hood River Valley High School ski team has its second of three giant slalom races Saturday and the freestyle team has its first halfpipe contest Monday, both at Mt. Hood Meadows; the HRV nordic team has a race Saturday, also at MHM.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
- ‘Mayerdale Place’ program Oct. 21
- County continues marijuana hearings
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge