Friday, February 15, 2013
High school winter sports seasons are coming quckly to an end, but before they do there’s the little detail of determining the best of the best. This weekend features a heafty serving of action for even the hungriest of sports fans. Here’s a summary:
n State swimming: Hood River Valley High School boys and girls swim teams won overall district titles last weekend and sent more than a dozen swimmers to Mt. Hood Community College Friday and Saturday for the state meet. Finals for the 5A field will run Saturday from 1-4 p.m.
n Distrtict wrestling: Eagle wrestlers battle for state berths this weekend at the 5A Special District 1 championships at Marshall High School, where the top three wrestlers from each weight class advance to Oregon’s big show next weekend at the Memorial Coliseum.
n 1A basketball league playoffs: The undefeated Horizion Christian School Hawks are in Hermiston this weekend as the heavily favored top seed in the Big Sky League playoffs. The 1A state tournament runs Feb. 27 to March 2 at Baker High School.
n Ski and snowboard contests: Hood River Valley High School ski team has its second of three giant slalom races Saturday and the freestyle team has its first halfpipe contest Monday, both at Mt. Hood Meadows; the HRV nordic team has a race Saturday, also at MHM.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 30
- Vital Content: The Web would be sparse landscape without newspapers
- Love Your Columbia In CL, tribal leaders lead salmon viewing Oct. 8
- Warm Springs tribe member describes Dakota pipeline experiences Oct. 4 at RCC
- Church Notes: ‘Die Wise’ book program starts Sunday at Riverside
- Ribbon cutting at Museum
- Mediation training at Six Rivers starts Oct. 6
- May Street celebrates Walk/Bike to School Day
- Food insecurity: 'Harvesting’ art exhibit, meal and public conversation in downtown HR Oct. 7
- 12th Street opens
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge