Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Wy’east Middle School eighth-grader Abby Walker has been selected as the Daughters of the American Revolution Celilo Chapter’s 5-8-grade winner of the 2012-13 American History Essay Contest.
Abby is the daughter of Eric and Trisha Walker, of Odell.
Her essay, entitled “Forgotten Patriots Who Supported the American Struggle for Independence,” was selected by the Celilo Chapter in the 5-8 grade category for all public, private, home schooled or parochial schools in Hood River and The Dalles as the top essay.
She will be recognized and presented her Celilo Chapter Award at the March 20 DAR-Celilo Chapter meeting at the Hood River City Fire Department.
Students’ essays are nominated for the award based on the qualities of historical accuracy, adherence to the topic, organization of material, interest, originality, spelling, grammar, punctuation and neatness.
Her essay has been advanced to the DAR state level. The state winner will advance to the division level and then on to the national level. The national winner will travel to Washington, D.C., to the DAR Continental Congress in July.
More like this story
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
- Sheriff's Log, Aug. 23 to 30
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge