Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Wy’east Middle School eighth-grader Abby Walker has been selected as the Daughters of the American Revolution Celilo Chapter’s 5-8-grade winner of the 2012-13 American History Essay Contest.
Abby is the daughter of Eric and Trisha Walker, of Odell.
Her essay, entitled “Forgotten Patriots Who Supported the American Struggle for Independence,” was selected by the Celilo Chapter in the 5-8 grade category for all public, private, home schooled or parochial schools in Hood River and The Dalles as the top essay.
She will be recognized and presented her Celilo Chapter Award at the March 20 DAR-Celilo Chapter meeting at the Hood River City Fire Department.
Students’ essays are nominated for the award based on the qualities of historical accuracy, adherence to the topic, organization of material, interest, originality, spelling, grammar, punctuation and neatness.
Her essay has been advanced to the DAR state level. The state winner will advance to the division level and then on to the national level. The national winner will travel to Washington, D.C., to the DAR Continental Congress in July.
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge