Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Wy’east Middle School eighth-grader Abby Walker has been selected as the Daughters of the American Revolution Celilo Chapter’s 5-8-grade winner of the 2012-13 American History Essay Contest.
Abby is the daughter of Eric and Trisha Walker, of Odell.
Her essay, entitled “Forgotten Patriots Who Supported the American Struggle for Independence,” was selected by the Celilo Chapter in the 5-8 grade category for all public, private, home schooled or parochial schools in Hood River and The Dalles as the top essay.
She will be recognized and presented her Celilo Chapter Award at the March 20 DAR-Celilo Chapter meeting at the Hood River City Fire Department.
Students’ essays are nominated for the award based on the qualities of historical accuracy, adherence to the topic, organization of material, interest, originality, spelling, grammar, punctuation and neatness.
Her essay has been advanced to the DAR state level. The state winner will advance to the division level and then on to the national level. The national winner will travel to Washington, D.C., to the DAR Continental Congress in July.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: ‘Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead’ at CCA
- HR County Library District holds annual Unity Picnic to celebrate diversity, reading
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River pool facing possible closure in 1987
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 23
- ANOTHER VOICE: Call on Gorge Commission to take a stand on coal transport pollution
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 23 edition
- Lions Fundraiser ‘Applerama’ in danger of cancellation
- The Ale List: Full Sail and Harrington team up with Red Ale
- ‘Sketchbook Project’ invites conversation
- poTENtial series continues at Center for Arts
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge