Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Hood River Valley High School art students won best of show and two first prizes in the 2013 Mid-Columbia High School and Middle School annual art show.
Daisy Martinez won Best of Show for her Sharpie pen drawing, “Giraffe.”
Zoe Peterson won first place in photography for her digital image “Forsaken.”
Aely Sarai Gama Diaz took first place in portraits for her pencil drawing, “Lee Min Ho.”
Turn to page B10 for more awards, and to see Diaz’s and Peterson’s images.
The students will be honored March 2 in a reception at The Dalles Art Center. Judges reviewed submissions by students from Hood River, The Dalles, Goldendale and other Gorge communities.
More like this story
- Library Foundation issues a fundraising challenge now through June 30
- Public records, marriage permits, May 2016
- Look for a full First Friday on June 3
- Entertainment Update for June 1
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge