Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Soroptimist of Hood River is hoping to hear from some of the dozens of women who have received its Women’s Opportunity Award in the past 15-20 years.
“We know the women who have won these awards are some of the busiest people around, working, going to school and raising their families, but we’d really love to connect briefly just to know how and what they are doing,” says Women’s Opportunity Award Committee Chair Kate Dougherty.
Three awards are given annually to women financial heads of household who have chosen to get more training and education in order to better their families’ future.
The cash awards of $500 to $1,000 each can be used for anything the recipient needs to make it a little easier to get her education, such as child care, gas, car repairs, food or books.
“We also want to invite them to help us honor this year’s three recipients at a Soroptimist event on March 6,” said Dougherty.
Former recipients are asked to contact her at 541-386-3850 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge