Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Soroptimist of Hood River is hoping to hear from some of the dozens of women who have received its Women’s Opportunity Award in the past 15-20 years.
“We know the women who have won these awards are some of the busiest people around, working, going to school and raising their families, but we’d really love to connect briefly just to know how and what they are doing,” says Women’s Opportunity Award Committee Chair Kate Dougherty.
Three awards are given annually to women financial heads of household who have chosen to get more training and education in order to better their families’ future.
The cash awards of $500 to $1,000 each can be used for anything the recipient needs to make it a little easier to get her education, such as child care, gas, car repairs, food or books.
“We also want to invite them to help us honor this year’s three recipients at a Soroptimist event on March 6,” said Dougherty.
Former recipients are asked to contact her at 541-386-3850 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge