Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Members of the Oregon State Patrol and Portland Police bomb squads destroyed a pipe bomb at the popular Seven Streams trail head in Post Canyon Tuesday afternoon.
Hood River County Sheriff Matt English said deputies received a report from a county forestry employee regarding the device at around 1 p.m.
English described the device as being approximately 6-inches long and said it appeared as though someone had tried to set it off and that when it didn't detonate, left it behind.
Sheriff's deputies cordoned off part of the busy trail head for approximately three hours until bomb squad representatives arrived to disable the device.
English recommended that when dealing with a suspected explosive device it is best to not handle it, keep everyone away and to notify law enforcement.
“The danger with these improvised devices is that they can be extremely unstable," English said. “You can’t tell without some expert training if its real or fake.”
English said that deputies were able to leave the scene around 4:30 p.m. The sheriff's office will continue to investigate the incident through evidence collection and identify a suspect. Possession of an improvised explosive device is a felony.
Bomb squad calls in Hood River County are a fairly rare event. English said the last instance he could recall was when someone detonated a pipe bomb in a county bathroom at Binns Hill last year.
More like this story
- After a winless 2014 season, HRV girls team places third at state tournament
- HAHRC BEATS: November is Diabetes Awareness Month
- National Initiative: Mindfulness Center trains ‘Mental Health First Aid’
- Red Cross recommends iron-rich foods prior to blood donation
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 21
- Pitch and Pool: Kudos for fall success, and a look ahead
- Jim Drake’s Entertainment Blog: Doing what it takes to be the ‘Finest’
- Overlapping ‘Pray for Snow’ parties happen Saturday
- Entertainment Update for Nov. 21
- B Gorge-us Boutique opens, shares space with Gandara
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge